Help me with my first REAL detail!

wwmost

Established Member
Ok well I bought a porter cable about 3 months ago and really haven’t used it to its full potential. I need to get some new products, some better products. Any help? I get confused when I start looking at alllll of these polishes and I don’t know which one to get. My car is DSG and has minor swirls from drying. No deep scratches. I need new pads also.

What polishes, wax, and sealants should I get? What order do I put these on? Speed, pad color how do I apply them?

I am an amateur at this stuff but I am constantly trying to learn. I’m trying to look up stuff on detail forums but thought I would ask you guys for a little help.

Thanks

zeus201

Established Member
I just used mine last weekend and if I was able to do it, then anybody can. I wished I took before and after pics, but I'd say it took out 95% of the swirls out.

I used on my Redfire Mustang:
Menzerna SIP @ speed 5 / orange pad (lightly misted the pad with distilled water)
Menzerna 106FF @ speed 5 / white pad
Klasse AIO by hand (paint cleaner and it left an awesome shine!)
Danase Wet Glaze @ speed 3.5 ~ 4 / blue pad (probably could have skipped this step)
Sealed with PB EX-P by hand

I normally would use a Carnuba wax, but Iowa winters are harsh. I needed something to last the next 3 months which a sealant can last from everything I've read and seen.

I would highly recommend using Menzerna. I was impressed how easy it was to use. It was quite easy to tell when it was completely broken down. It is really easy as long as you take your time and check your work.

You can purchase everything you need from out local vendor: SMP (http://www.specialtymotoring.com/). Use the 10% discout code SVTPERFORMANCE. I'd call Scott and he can hook you up with everything you need!

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
There are several products that you can choose from. It really boils down to budget, how much effort you want to expend and what level of perfection you wish to attain. You already have a PC, so that’s a great start.

For pads, I would look towards the Lake Country CCS Pads. The Buffing Pad Starter Kit – CCS is a great place to start. You get an orange light cutting pad, two white polishing pads and a blue final finishing pad.

For polishes, you have a few choices. For beginners, I like the Poorboy’s SSR series. SSR2.5 and SSR1 are a very effective combo with the PC and are easy to use. They will leave the surface clean, smooth and clear and ready for your wax or sealant. They are also the most cost-effective route.

The next option would be Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Final Polish or Micro Polish. They are quart-sized bottles, so they do cost more. They work really well on swirls and finish down very nicely. Micro Polish is my favorite finishing polish. I actually use it with a black pad for that extra final polish. I’d put them ahead of the SSR’s in effectiveness, but by no means does that mean the Poorboy’s stuff is bad.

The biggest rage current is Menzerna Super Intensive Polish followed by Nano Polish. These are very pricey, but very effective. I think a beginning detailer is better off with the regular Menzerna stuff or the SSR series. You probably won’t notice the difference as a first time user.

No matter which polish you use, the process is the same.

You’ll first try the more aggressive polish with a white polishing pad. Use speed 5-6 on the PC to make those polishes most effective. Work a small area at a time for a couple minutes or until the polish starts to dry. Wipe off the excess and check your work. It might take a few passes to see the results. Work in overlapping lines moving the PC slowly. You really don’t need to apply a lot of weight to the machine. Let it do the work for you.

If the swirls haven’t been removed, step up to the orange light cutting pad and repeat the process. That should take care of the remaining swirls. Once that step is done, repeat the process with the mild polish and a white polishing pad. Your paint will be ready for your wax or sealant after that.

For protection, I would go with a sealant over a wax. I find the clear nature of sealants lend themselves better to a metallic finish. Poorboy’s Polish with Sealant or Optimum Poli-Seal would be excellent products to use. They could both also be used as one-step products for future quick touch-up details. If you wanted additional shine and protection, you could top those with Poorboy’s EX-P or Optimum Opti-Seal.

I prefer to apply my waxes or sealant by hand with foam applicators. You can use the PC at a low speed and the soft blue final finishing pad if you want.

wwmost

Established Member
wow guys thanks for the help. this really answered alot of my questions. i defnitly need new pads. i bought my pt from adams polish, it was a kit and came with their pad system that snaps in place. should i just buy their pads again or buy a whole new system? their pads had 2 sides and just popped right on but they are pretty worn now because i polished some metal with them and would never let them touch my paint how they are now.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Scott P,

I'm no where near close to doing a real detail on my black 04 COBRA until this summer. But, I do have a question for you. I agree with you completely about the choosing a sealant over a wax. No offense to the hard core wax users out there, a good wax has a warm brilliance & great optics.

But for long term protection, I would go with a sealant over a wax too. How is the Poorboy’s Polish with Sealant, Optimum Poli-Seal, different from ZAINO... ? :shrug:

Just curious. I know the ZAINO is good stuff but it gives the clear coat an acrylic look to it right? My friend who does expensive details on rich peoples cars around here in California use a high strength resin polymer (sealant). Is this all the same stuff basically... ?

Just curious !!! ;-)

Scott P

Established Member
Scott P,

I'm no where near close to doing a real detail on my black 04 COBRA until this summer. But, I do have a question for you. I agree with you completely about the choosing a sealant over a wax. No offense to the hard core wax users out there, a good wax has a warm brilliance & great optics.

But for long term protection, I would go with a sealant over a wax too. How is the Poorboy’s Polish with Sealant, Optimum Poli-Seal, different from ZAINO... ? :shrug:

Just curious. I know the ZAINO is good stuff but it gives the clear coat an acrylic look to it right? My friend who does expensive details on rich peoples cars around here in California use a high strength resin polymer (sealant). Is this all the same stuff basically... ?

Just curious !!! ;-)

What do you mean by "long term protection"? Three months? Six months? One year?

Not all sealants are the same. Some are acrylic, some are resin, some are polymers and others blends these types with carnauba wax. Each offer a different look, application and durability.

Typically, Zaino is the longest lasting product. It requires a perfectly clean surface for application. The Z-5 and Z-2 products don't have any corrective capabilities, so you would need to polish and clean the paint prior to use. ZAIO and ZPC can be used along with any number of polishes like Menzerna and Poorboy's.

Polish with Sealant and Optimum Poli-Seal are all in one products that clan paint and offer protection. Polish with Sealant contains a pure sealant while Poli-Seal offers a blend of polymers and carnauba. Optimum Opti-Seal is a true sealant that is a wipe on and walk away product. It does not have any cleaning capabilities.

wwmost

Established Member
so applying a polish over polish gets the paint looking better and better?

like what zeus told me
"Menzerna SIP @ speed 5 / orange pad (lightly misted the pad with distilled water)
Menzerna 106FF @ speed 5 / white pad
Klasse AIO by hand (paint cleaner and it left an awesome shine!)
Danase Wet Glaze @ speed 3.5 ~ 4 / blue pad (probably could have skipped this step)
Sealed with PB EX-P by hand"

the first 3 are polishes correct? what is the difference between all of them and what do they do? also what is the need for a glaze?

and is a orange pad a pretty intense cutting pad? or is it light? i have light swirls. also what would you use the blue pad for?

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
Think of different polishes as different grades of sandpaper, but not nearly as extreme. You start with a rougher grit and finish with a lighter grit. The same applies to polishes. You tackle the heavier stuff with Intensive Polish and the lighter stuff with Final Polish.

The orange pad is a light cutting pad. Not "Pretty intense" as you describe it. It can handle heavier swirls, but is soft enough to finish fine. The blue pad is very soft and works best to apply glazes, waxes and sealants.

zeus201

Established Member
The first two were polishes. Klasse is paint cleaner and leaves an excellent base to apply your sealants or waxes. There's a thread on this forum that shows how important an paint cleaner. I can't remember who posted it, but I remember the white pad was quite dirty.

A glaze adds to the wetness of the paint is mainly used on darker colors. It has no corrective or protective properties, it's more or less a product that conceals swirls.

sikklightning04

sikklightning04
Established Member
Adam's polishes and waxes are all you need. Google Adam's car care and watch the tutorial videos and buy their products.

If you have any technical questions PM me and we can discuss further.

-sikklightning04

wwmost

Established Member
ok thanks alot guys. i really apreciate it! cant wait to detail this baby.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Adam's polishes and waxes are all you need. Google Adam's car care and watch the tutorial videos and buy their products.

If you have any technical questions PM me and we can discuss further.

-sikklightning04

You are aware that they are Chemical Guy relabels.

Scott P

Established Member
It can be overwhelming. This is where the lousy salesman in me comes out. I typically don't like to overload beginning detailers with tons of products and a lot of steps. You can start out small. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you are working by hand, grab one of the kits I have. If you have a PC, then you have a few more options. You can use the PC to make the all-in-one products more effective. Optimum Poli-Seal really steps it up a notch when used with a white polishing pad and the PC. If you are feeling overwhelmed with the various polishes, then take this route.

Remember, there is still a learning curve associated with using the PC as a detailing tool. It’s a very wise choice to take slowly as you learn how to utilize it. Your car will still look much better than it would before the PC and with over the counter products.

Users who are viewing this thread