Help me with my next weekend car purchase

shelbygirl144

Established Member
Yes I owned a 997 Turbo PDK and a 997 GT3 , Porsche makes awesome cars, these two models are completely different from each other , GT3 a different animal, lol

thekanezzi

Established Member
so, what is your budget, exactly?

sounds to me like you have two very different cars in mind. might I recommend:::

CAR #1==== four door, responsible, family car capable of 10's-------tuned rs7, e63amg-s, bmw m5 (I know you said you didn't want this), or modded hellcat charger. these cars are all cars that can comfortably haul 4/5 people, run 10's EASILY, and knock out most cars on the road. they are safe, comfortable, and legal in kommiefornia. but every one of them will likely make you bored, if you want 1000hp sketchiness. I have the rs7 and charger. the charger will be more raw. hard to imagine the rs7 is capable of 10.5-10.7 every time I set foot in it, and at any stoplight. it just doesn't feel that fast, but it is. my kids love both of these cars. they hated my h/c/I c6z.

CAR#2====light, 2 seater with boost. boosted C5, boosted, swapped rx7, boosted 5.0, take your pick, sky is the limit. you can have the sketchiness you crave. kids/wife will not be comfortable or safe in this car, but it will fulfill a need you mentioned, that no other 4 door car will.

I haven’t mentioned budget because if i find something I REALLY want, I will just save longer. That being said, I’m thinking the highest number in reality is 100k. That number would take me selling my cobra and saving for a year and a half to get the payments on a 100k car in the range i can afford with my a4 payment. I would only do this if I was convinced that the car i was getting really blew my skirt up and I’d hang onto it for a while.

The 2 car idea really is the dream. It’s a great idea that makes the most sense. I already have so many cars that I don’t give enough seat time to each of them

I have

F150
A4
Cobra
Optima

I daily the a4 and need a car that gets decent mileage. For example, I’m driving the a4 20k miles a year, the f150 2000 and the cobra 1500 miles. The optima is my wife’s car.

Delete the cobra and add 2 more cars and i think you see the problem. If it was doable for me it’d be an easy solution for me. A beastly c6 and some cool ass 65 lincoln continental to cruise in. Unlimited options really. Down the road, way down the road, I’d like to get a raw weekend car in addition to this car for the wife and I, so I’m leaning more toward option 1.

Honestly, how is the rs7? There are a lot of pluses surrounding that car. I sure love my a4 if that’s even remotely comparable. Transmission gets pissed if you flog it too much right?

FWIW the 5.2 PD setups in the CJ cars are going low 8s. I wouldn't be surprised if a fully dressed GT500 goes deep into the 9s with a similar 5.2 PD motor. Think the problem with turbo setups for the GT500 boiled down packaging size, complexity during assembly for the current platform. The PD setups on these cars has been proven time and time again, why add complexity and cost when a PD blower will get it done.

Now this does make sense. Why go turbo unless you have to? Man, a gt500 deep in the 9s is going to be insane. Luckily, I wont have cash available until that car comes out. That is, if that car ever comes out. How long have we been waiting now?

thekanezzi

Established Member
Yes I owned a 997 Turbo PDK and a 997 GT3 , Porsche makes awesome cars, these two models are completely different from each other , GT3 a different animal, lol

How do you compare a 997 PDK car to a high powered mustang? When you are driving it, do you say to yourself, ‘ah, here is where my 50k went.’ ?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
How do you compare a 997 PDK car to a high powered mustang? When you are driving it, do you say to yourself, ‘ah, here is where my 50k went.’ ?
What? You are looking at some pricy cars yourself. And when you drive one you figure out real fast where that money is.

That was a hell of an angry leap. Are you really going to buy a car this weekend?

I loved my mustang but would not trade my bmw to get back into one.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I haven’t mentioned budget because if i find something I REALLY want, I will just save longer. That being said, I’m thinking the highest number in reality is 100k. That number would take me selling my cobra and saving for a year and a half to get the payments on a 100k car in the range i can afford with my a4 payment. I would only do this if I was convinced that the car i was getting really blew my skirt up and I’d hang onto it for a while.

The 2 car idea really is the dream. It’s a great idea that makes the most sense. I already have so many cars that I don’t give enough seat time to each of them

I have

F150
A4
Cobra
Optima

I daily the a4 and need a car that gets decent mileage. For example, I’m driving the a4 20k miles a year, the f150 2000 and the cobra 1500 miles. The optima is my wife’s car.

Delete the cobra and add 2 more cars and i think you see the problem. If it was doable for me it’d be an easy solution for me. A beastly c6 and some cool ass 65 lincoln continental to cruise in. Unlimited options really. Down the road, way down the road, I’d like to get a raw weekend car in addition to this car for the wife and I, so I’m leaning more toward option 1.

Honestly, how is the rs7? There are a lot of pluses surrounding that car. I sure love my a4 if that’s even remotely comparable. Transmission gets pissed if you flog it too much right?

Now this does make sense. Why go turbo unless you have to? Man, a gt500 deep in the 9s is going to be insane. Luckily, I wont have cash available until that car comes out. That is, if that car ever comes out. How long have we been waiting now?

I love the rs7. crazy power, great comfort, amazing interior, and I love the looks. but it's expensive, there are limited mods to get you below 10.2-10.4 range, and it won't give you the same raw feeling as a 1000hp car will. it is an absolutely amazing car though.

thekanezzi

Established Member
What? You are looking at some pricy cars yourself. And when you drive one you figure out real fast where that money is.

That was a hell of an angry leap. Are you really going to buy a car this weekend?

I loved my mustang but would not trade my bmw to get back into one.

I’m not sure how that came off as angry, i was simply asking about her opinion of value. Also, i think I’ve been clear that i am in the planning process and not ready to buy yet.

I’d love a 250 GTO but not at the price they sell for. I’m sure I’d love a 997 turbo as well, but I want the opinion of a person who has had both a 997 and a mustang to help with my decision. I’m only looking for help, not trying to be a smartass or asshole

Dale, you answered my question quite well, you loved your mustang but prefer your BMW. I’d assume you think its worth it then?

thekanezzi

Established Member
I love the rs7. crazy power, great comfort, amazing interior, and I love the looks. but it's expensive, there are limited mods to get you below 10.2-10.4 range, and it won't give you the same raw feeling as a 1000hp car will. it is an absolutely amazing car though.

Great information. Exactly the type of response I need. I really need to get in one of these to get the experience. There a ton of used ones around so i think i could make that happen.

Thank you

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’m not sure how that came off as angry, i was simply asking about her opinion of value. Also, i think I’ve been clear that i am in the planning process and not ready to buy yet.

I’d love a 250 GTO but not at the price they sell for. I’m sure I’d love a 997 turbo as well, but I want the opinion of a person who has had both a 997 and a mustang to help with my decision. I’m only looking for help, not trying to be a smartass or asshole

Dale, you answered my question quite well, you loved your mustang but prefer your BMW. I’d assume you think its worth it then?
I love eveey penny and sometimes wish I had gone to dinan stage 2 bs stage 1.

Your answer seemed to be one of those mullethead type. Not sure if you have been in a gt3 but the day you do you might regret having kids, lol.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Great information. Exactly the type of response I need. I really need to get in one of these to get the experience. There a ton of used ones around so i think i could make that happen.

Thank you

Told you ;-)

I really think the RS7 is the car for you. TT and AWD. There is just something special about dragging someone in you luxury car. El Oh El. You will still have your Terminator for that raw driving experience.

thekanezzi

Established Member
I love eveey penny and sometimes wish I had gone to dinan stage 2 bs stage 1.

Your answer seemed to be one of those mullethead type. Not sure if you have been in a gt3 but the day you do you might regret having kids, lol.

Great. That is the type of answer that makes me feel better about looking at a 100k car. No, I’ve never even been in any 911, let alone a gt3. Amazing car, no doubt. I actually think the GT3, especially the 997 gt3, is a crazy good value. Ive been in a quite a few high dollar cars, some of them were worth every penny and some seemed incredibly overpriced and left me wondering how it was people bought them. My question was more focused on the driving experience.

No joke, one of my favorite cars i ever owned was my turbo Volvo.

Told you ;-)

I really think the RS7 is the car for you. TT and AWD. There is just something special about dragging someone in you luxury car. El Oh El. You will still have your Terminator for that raw driving experience.

Lol, you make a strong point. Bad news is, the Terminator would have to go if I bought another car.

You really think a rs7 is better than a 911 for the price? They are pretty close money wise, and the 911 is much faster.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Lol, you make a strong point. Bad news is, the Terminator would have to go if I bought another car.

You really think a rs7 is better than a 911 for the price? They are pretty close money wise, and the 911 is much faster.

Just save a little longer and keep that beautiful Terminator. In another year or so the RS7s will have dropped in price more. 1.5 years from now they will probably be about $7-10k cheaper.

Comparing the RS7 and 997 TT is apples and oranges. Both have their pros and cons. If you are leaning more cruiser and family fun RS7 all day. If you want to race often and take spirited drives thru the hills get the 997. Long term the 997 is going to retain value better.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Great. That is the type of answer that makes me feel better about looking at a 100k car. No, I’ve never even been in any 911, let alone a gt3. Amazing car, no doubt. I actually think the GT3, especially the 997 gt3, is a crazy good value. Ive been in a quite a few high dollar cars, some of them were worth every penny and some seemed incredibly overpriced and left me wondering how it was people bought them. My question was more focused on the driving experience.

No joke, one of my favorite cars i ever owned was my turbo Volvo.

If i jad the money it would be a gt2 rs.

The way i desribe the gt3 is like this. You sit inside a mustang, you wrap yourself with the gt3. Without sounding too gay, it is like you are part of the gt3. it does what you tell it and the day you lose traction in a curve is the day you test the limits of your auto insurance.

thekanezzi

Established Member
Just save a little longer and keep that beautiful Terminator. In another year or so the RS7s will have dropped in price more. 1.5 years from now they will probably be about $7-10k cheaper.

Comparing the RS7 and 997 TT is apples and oranges. Both have their pros and cons. If you are leaning more cruiser and family fun RS7 all day. If you want to race often and take spirited drives thru the hills get the 997. Long term the 997 is going to retain value better.

The problem is money for sure but also use. 5 cars is too many for me to actually get seat time in.

They are apples to oranges, i agree. I’m looking for a fast car that will fit everyone instead of a car that fits everyone and happens to be fast as well. That seems like a spectrum that both the 911 and RS7 are both on. I think the driving experience will help me quite a lot. I also need to measure and make sure the RS7 will fit in my 85 year old garage haha. You’ve know me quite a while now, so I’m inclined to agree the RS7 is probably a great choice.

If i jad the money it would be a gt2 rs.

The way i desribe the gt3 is like this. You sit inside a mustang, you wrap yourself with the gt3. Without sounding too gay, it is like you are part of the gt3. it does what you tell it and the day you lose traction in a curve is the day you test the limits of your auto insurance.

Holy shit I’d love a gt2rs. If i had that coin I don’t think I’d really be in this position however. GT3 is amazing, on so many levels, maybe someday.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The problem is money for sure but also use. 5 cars is too many for me to actually get seat time in.

They are apples to oranges, i agree. I’m looking for a fast car that will fit everyone instead of a car that fits everyone and happens to be fast as well. That seems like a spectrum that both the 911 and RS7 are both on. I think the driving experience will help me quite a lot. I also need to measure and make sure the RS7 will fit in my 85 year old garage haha. You’ve know me quite a while now, so I’m inclined to agree the RS7 is probably a great choice.

Holy shit I’d love a gt2rs. If i had that coin I don’t think I’d really be in this position however. GT3 is amazing, on so many levels, maybe someday.
Yeah yeah, we can dream on. Only if we had SVTP mod-money.

coposrv

Established Member
on one hand he wants a 4 seater to take the family on long weekend trips...

on the other hand he says he wants 900rwhp to do triple digit roll racing

I dont see those as being the same vehicle. You plan on racing with your wife and kid in the car? This whole thread is just odd...

Yep. Thought the same thing. I’m confused.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
90908ff62aad1db4faae86767b8bc21a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
Where’s @ArabianOak ?

Sell the A4 and the Cobra. Daily a tuned RS7. You’ll have the perfect car to commute to work (I also drive 20k back and forth to work and have a S6), an amazing weekend getaway car, a head turner at the restaurant, and something that runs low to mid 10’s at 130+ on pump gas. AND still gets 20+ mpg

Last edited:

shelbygirl144

Established Member
At the end of the day it is your choice and you have to be happy, to compare a Mustang or Charger Hell Cat to a 997 is not a fair comparison, compete different platforms and money, which would I buy ? If I wanted a car to go fast in a straight line I would mod a Mustang, great bang for the buck, and a decent back seat, the Porsche on the other hand just a different animal designed to do things differently in my opinion a much better car, but is it worth the extra money, up to you to decide , test drive them all and go from there, good luck

_Snake_

Established Member
At the end of the day it is your choice and you have to be happy, to compare a Mustang or Charger Hell Cat to a 997 is not a fair comparison, compete different platforms and money, which would I buy ? If I wanted a car to go fast in a straight line I would mod a Mustang, great bang for the buck, and a decent back seat, the Porsche on the other hand just a different animal designed to do things differently in my opinion a much better car, but is it worth the extra money, up to you to decide , test drive them all and go from there, good luck

Comma much?

Users who are viewing this thread