Help me with this weird a/c problem on friends car, please

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Hello everyone. I've been trying to wrap my head around this car I've been working on for a friend of mine who's a teacher with like 4 kids etc and I'm trying to help her out. Anyway I just can't figure out what's going on and I figure I drop a line on here just to give it a shot.

It's a 13 dodge avenger 3.6 and for some reason the fans won't turn on with the a/c on in the vehicle. I just recently replaced the alternator and the condenser on the vehicle and when I went to charge the system, I noticed high side pressure jumping to about 250+ and fans staying off so I stopped charging.

I then noticed that the fans don't turn on with the ignition in the on position and a/c selected as usual, so I disconnected hoses. I jumped the fan relay, which was getting power from the vehicle, on post 80 and 37 to jump the circuit and turn on the fans and nothing happened. Got no power to fan from harness on my multimeter either.

Now when I borrowed a snap on scan tool, I was able to command the fan relay on and off with the tool and the fans did turn on and off. Whenever I commanded them they responded.

So they do work mechanically and can turn on with the scan tool, but not when I turn the ignition to on and put the A/C on. Every car I know, ignition on and A/C commanded on and the fans turn on. Not this time. And I'm sure it will keep building pressure until it blows pressure switch because there's no fan there to cool off the condenser.

So I think its the PCM somehow, like the driver module inside the pcm, what do u fellows think? Thank you in advance!

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I would say no to the PCM considering you can control it with the scan tool. I work with someone who use to be a tech at Chrysler, I will ask him his opinion tomorrow.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Double check you got all the connections back on properly from the alternator. install. Easy to miss a pressure sensor connector or not have a connector snapped in all the way.

Trace the wires from the fans and see if they are hooked up to a fan controller. If yes, see if its got source voltage and check ground continuity. There is usually a signal wire involved if there is a fan controller too.

Its an older Chrysler product, electrical is typically not something they are particularly good at.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Any way you can get your hands on a wiring schematic of the AC circuit???

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you observe the data while switching the a/c on and off? Check to see if the fans are being commanded on or not via the scan tool. The guy I worked with mentioned the recall as well and check the fuses. Also I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows two relays a high and low speed relay.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Can you observe the data while switching the a/c on and off? Check to see if the fans are being commanded on or not via the scan tool. The guy I worked with mentioned the recall as well and check the fuses. Also I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows two relays a high and low speed relay.

Thank you everyone. I have checked the connections and gotten ahold of a wiring schematic.

I can command the fans on and off with the scan tool and it says that it is switching from command on to command off.

Maybe after I do the trouble shooting I'll have to get the recall thing taken care of.

I can't understand why jumping the relay doesn't work to turn the fans on. I saw a high and low speed as well and can command those with scan tool, but only one relay mounted on radiator shroud.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Check the voltage drop at the fan connectors when commanding the fans on. If they have corrosion or a pin fitment issue you can pinpoint it that way. Do the fans come on w/o the a/c being on? The car doesn’t overheat?

Users who are viewing this thread