Help me with wheels please

jj6077

Established Member
Hey guys, long time lurker, recently trying to get into the 5.0 forum scene. I noticed that a lot of guys here have been modding their cars and such, as well as the wheels. From what I see, the most common seem to be RTR, GT500 wheels and the brembo package.
I was really considering the boss302s wheels, but I heard they were really heavy? Also I've read a couple of some people's post about wheel weight, extra rotating mass, 18's are better than 19's , etc, and that just confused me even more.
I am fairly new to the motorsports scene (I did not get into it because my highschool/jr. HS years was the time when Fast and the Furious was a huge fad which I wanted no part of) so I come to you guys asking advice on what wheels I should buy. Keep in mind that I am 22 year old college student, and this being the second car that I am paying for so wheels that are 2k+ are definetly out of the question. I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

time capsule

Established Member
Go with som drag wheels. They look good and weigh next to nothing. The fronts will be a 17" if you have the big brakes and the rears will be a 15". Put a nice drag tire on the rear and your all set.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Without paying some coin you're really not going to get in to a light weight wheel. You'd be looking at something like a true forged, iForged etc. Be ready to spend 3000-5000 just on the wheels in many cases.

That's probably why everybody goes with the GT500 wheels or RTR's. However the brembo package wheels are among the lightest wheel you can get from Ford. So if you're worried about weight, that's an option.

For a street car, you probably won't notice any added weight in day to day activities.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Why would they want heavier wheels on the BOSS? You would think they would go lighter. Maybe looks are better than function? Or it provides more stability with the added weight which will increase inertia and centrifugal weight. I'm not a scientest or a racer so i don't know, just seems odd. Maybe being slightly more stable in a turn could have an advantage for road courses for the boss. Who needs stability if you are trying to take off fast in a straight line is what most people want.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Why would they want heavier wheels on the BOSS? You would think they would go lighter. Maybe looks are better than function? Or it provides more stability with the added weight which will increase inertia and centrifugal weight. I'm not a scientest or a racer so i don't know, just seems odd. Maybe being slightly more stable in a turn could have an advantage for road courses for the boss. Who needs stability if you are trying to take off fast in a straight line is what most people want.

Lighter wheels are always better for performance. However the factory still has cost considerations to take in to account. Forged wheels are expensive to make, so most factory wheels are going to be spun cast. At that point you're talking about the difference in wheel weight being attributed mostly to the overall amount of metal used in the casting.

To be fair, I can't right now find the article I had read pointing to the brembo wheels being the lightest (and I don't currently have the time to look). This was also prior to the release of the Boss. So it is very possible that the boss wheels are lighter.

Again though, on the street, you're not going to notice 5 lbs in either direction.

jj6077

Established Member
Without paying some coin you're really not going to get in to a light weight wheel. You'd be looking at something like a true forged, iForged etc. Be ready to spend 3000-5000 just on the wheels in many cases.

That's probably why everybody goes with the GT500 wheels or RTR's. However the brembo package wheels are among the lightest wheel you can get from Ford. So if you're worried about weight, that's an option.

For a street car, you probably won't notice any added weight in day to day activities.

Thanks!, makes this clears up a lot of things for me.

Users who are viewing this thread