Help new alt same issue

stebolton

Established Member
Just finish changing my alternator (brand new from ford) on my 03 cobra and it still charge in 12 range at idle ! But here is the weird thing !! try to start car few minute later and now i see 13,7- 13,9 ! Same voltage at the battery and alt! I retry later now 12 range wtf ! If i wiggle the green wire in the plastic plug at the alt the voltage up to 13 range then go back to 12 i can hear the engine sound change when the voltage go 12 to 13 ! Any body have a idea what can cause this issue im loss please help

olympic

Established Member
Sounds like a broken wire or bad connection in that green wire to the alternator. Look in the plug and socket and see if the pins and contacts look out of place or damaged. Sometimes you can make an adjustment to the contacts with a small screwdriver to make a tighter connection. If the contacts look OK, peel back the wire loom and check for a broken wire.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I like to use dielectric grease on electrical connections. It helps current flow and helps prevent corrosion. It's not just for spark plugs. I used it on my ground connections too after cleaning them up with a wire brush.

MG0h3

Established Member
Like the others stated, check the plug and wires just upstream from the plug. They sell a new plug with about 6" of wire at most of the usual auto parts stores.

A member and I on here actually found his wire was broken inside the insulation and only found it with a continuity test.

stebolton

Established Member
Yes i just call the plug ! I am sure it's the cause of my issue my batterie light does not light up when the key is ON position ! I wiil change it this weekend ! Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread