HELP.. Ok Guy's I'm tired of the off the shelf detailing products.

SeankySnake

Established Member
For the past many years I have used ALOT of different detailing products and I have been somewhat happy with the results. But I want to take it to the next level, I have been looking over at Poor Boy's site and SMP's site and really like what I see. I'm not really too consirned about the price of the products. I'm a firm beliver in "you get what you pay for".:rockon: As far as a full detail on my 03 DSG Cobra Vert what do you guys reccommend from thier site and. I need reccommendations for the exterior, interior, under carriage, under hood, and glass. The car's overall paint conditon is pretty good, but I know that the car has more pontential in it. I'm not only refering to everything coming from Poor Boys site, but if you can reccommend any other professional products please advise. Thanks inadvance.:beer:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id start off with getting a Porter-Cable kit (one that comes with an assortment of pads, a backer plate and Optimum Polish/Compound/Poly-Seal if available). Then a pack of microfibers. Top it off with some Natty's Red paste wax, Natty's Wheel Sealant for the wheels, OTC tire shine. You can use Back2Black or theres better stuff non-otc called Forever Black, i forget who makes it but its supposedly twice as good as Back2Black.

Im sure Scott@SMP will recommend more products. Also some pics showing a reflection under a 1000w halogen shoplight (found for $30 at home depot/lowes) to see what needs to be done to the paint would help to figure out which process and steps might be required. All in all though, you are looking at needing to claybar, polish, seal, wax and then do all the other stuff.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Interior plastics/vinyl surfaces: Optimum Protectant

Leather: Leatherique Rej. oil and Pristine clean; or Poorboy's LeatherStuff

Alcantra: Woolite for Darks, diluted accordingly.

Undercarriage/wheelwells general cleaning: SimpleGreen 4:1; or Opt. Powerclean

You can use the Woolite for the carpet/floormats as well.

Paint is generally a mixed area depending on condition.

Optimum Polish II works well via PC.

Follow with Opt. OptiSeal or Natty's Blue paste for a nice wet look to make the metallic 'pop'.

For the lower valance/chin spoiler ft and rear fascias and cowl panel: Poorboy's Trim Restorer. I wouldn't bother with Mother's back to black or BlackWow. BW is a pain to apply and doesn't have an "OE" like new look, its shinier and I'm not fond of that.

Underhood and glass I'd have to swap brands on you.

The Meg's Detailer Line is great.

Meg's Glass cleaner and HyperDressing are must haves for me.
Meguiars Detailer Line Wholesale Prices

The HyperDressing at 4:1 is GREAT for underhood plastics, tire dressing and other various trim surfaces.

I love the glass cleaner as well, and at 10:1 it WORKS.

Everyone has their choice for 'vert tops but yours is a high end cloth top. RaggTopp would be a nice choice, or even the Woolite at a stronger ratio would be ok. A supple bristle brush will aid in cleaning as well (not a stiff brush though).

For your exhaust, go to the grocery store and get some Cameo stainless cleaner paste and a ScotchBrite pad. That will take care of the stainless pipes under the car.

Mother's Billet or Adams Metal 1/2 combo works great on the tips.

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
SMP has some good stuff

You can also check out Detailed Image which has a little larger selection and flat rate shipping.

SeankySnake

Established Member
I already have the Porter Cable Kit and love it, I have had it for about 2yrs now. I have 3 claybars as of right now. I'll have to try the 1000w light deal and get you some pics with my new Canon EOS 40D camera to show the quality and condition of the paint. Thanks for the helpful replys and info. Keep them coming!

Last edited:

SeankySnake

Established Member
Autopia - Autopia Home

There is soo much out there. Scott could help you out though

Thanks for the helpful links, I have alot of reading and learing to chatch up on. I had no idea that there were so many different manufactures avilable and so many products that I have been looking for but just not the right places. Thanks again!:beer:

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Check these guys out.

Majestic Solutions :: Official Site

They are right down the road from me. I'll only use the products they make. The detailer that does everyones car at Mustang Week uses these products and people who get there car in magazines have used him before the photoshoot. Hope this helps. Also, these do not have harmful by products in them like alot of these store bought brands. They also are not expensive like alot of mail order products.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
dont leave out the good stuff from Pinnacle. They make a wax for metallics although for my dollar its the Souveran!

Users who are viewing this thread