Help on front Mach 460 Speakers

96blackcobra

Established Member
My front mach 460 speakers haven’t worked since I got my car two years ago, and tonight when I put in a new HU, I tried to see what the problem was.

I took the door panel off first to see if the speaker was plugged in. It was. So I followed the wire and it seems to go into a larger lead that looks to go up into the dash.

I crawled under the passenger side and noticed a gray male plug that was unplugged. I tried to locate the female connector, but couldn’t seem to find it. It was the same on the driver side, but a little different connector.

My question is, is this the reason I am not getting sound out of my lower speakers? and if so where would the other connector be?

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

Thanks!

Sam Saladino

SNK BITN

Established Member
Sorry cant help ya, but that must be fun having to work underneath there. I almost broke my back when I was installing my clutch quadrant.

96blackcobra

Established Member
97ws6,

Do you know where Byron Dragstrip is? I am about 10 miles from there. 10 min or so from Rockford.

I was wondering also if it was a amp problem. Do the amps run the tweeters too or just the lower speakers?

Thanks,

Sam Saladino

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Im really not all that familiar with the Mach 460. Havent really had the chance to play with it much at work, and mine will be stock for a while. I have a few ways/items I could use to trouble shoot tho. Which speakers are not working? All fronts or mids or tweets?

BTW, Im about 30-35 miles south of the city.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Do you have a DMM or VOM? CHeck the resistance of the speakers. You can also use a 9v battery to 'pop' the speaker (wire it in parallel, but touch the lead, dont hold it there) to be sure if its in working order, but the DMM would be the best bet.

With an aftermarket deck you could easily bypass the amp if need be. (Im not really one for trying to explain things online.) :( I do have a bypass harness at work that would get you the colors, and Im sure someone some where online has a diagram. Only problem with bypassing the amp, is youll now have full range going through the woofers, which they are not (I think) designed to do.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
When you got the new HU, did they install the adaptor needed to connect the factory speakers/amps to the new HU? When i installed my new HU I had to purchase a separate wiring adaptor to connect the Mach 460 to the HU. They said i would have problems if i didn't get that adaptor so I'm thinking maybe it's that.:shrug:

96blackcobra

Established Member
I bypassed the high level outs and used the low levels (RCA) connectors on the back of my hu.

Even when I had my stock player, they didn't work.

I tried a friend’s speaker last night to rule out the speaker itself being blown.
I think it has to be in the wiring.

I'll take pictures later and post them.

Sam

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Could be an amp problem too. Id say it was that before the wiring. Unless those 2 connectors you mentioned are in fact unplugged? But Im pretty sure the wire is solid all the way in from the amp.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by 97ws6
Could be an amp problem too. Id say it was that before the wiring. Unless those 2 connectors you mentioned are in fact unplugged? But Im pretty sure the wire is solid all the way in from the amp.
IT IS A BITCH . i am replacing the whole system very soon.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
I was ok with it when I first got the car (3-4 weeks ago) now Im fed up with it. Was better than what was in the T/A but now I realize how poor it is.

But when you work on cars/audio all day you really dont feel like going home and playing with yours. Nor do I really want to spend $$ on it, Id rather spend my $$ on go fast stuff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread