Help picking enclosed trailer...

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I know a raptor has a lot more power than a 5.4 but pulling an enclosed trailer about killed my 04. I can pull my car easier on an open trailer than i could pull the enclosed trailer empty.

Id never go enclosed again unless i had a serious tow vehicle (diesel).
I've got the 6.2L don't know how much more that helps though. I'll do what others have said and look for a lightweight trailer. Hopefully it's good to the truck. I would certainly hope it could pull with all of the extra trailer package gizmos in the cab. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I just sold my Haulmark 20' vnose. My Cobra fit with plenty of room for stuff in front of it( jack,toolbox,wall mounted spare). If I get another down the road I'm going to look at torsion type suspension. I made ramps for the lowered Cobra and my sons STI to get in without hitting and that worked,but the torsion type seem to sit lower.
Is there a particular brand that is easier for vehicles to get in and out of without scraping exhaust?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Had a 20' featherlite enclosed car trailer all aluminum and black. "the Cadillac of trailers". Bought used Paid 8k sold it for 8k. Great trailer. Damn city ordnance made it a hassle to own it in the city.

I'd say look for a used FL in 20-24. 20' would do it, but a 24' you could set a shelf system in the nose. And D-hook everything. Put on a Anti-sway trailer and hitch set up. It really helps with gust of winds going down the HW at 70mph.

What's the tow cap on that raptor?
I want to say it can pull 7,000-8,000? I may be wrong.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Those ones have been catching my eye...

I suggest looking for a 2009 and earlier one. They are built better than the newer ones.

I had seen quite a few people doing that, and even nicer ones with the cabinets and what not already built in. 24' it is!

I've put a bed in mine before when traveling between SC and CA. Saved me a couple hundred dollars on hotel rooms, plus I hate hotels.

I've got the 6.2L don't know how much more that helps though. I'll do what others have said and look for a lightweight trailer. Hopefully it's good to the truck. I would certainly hope it could pull with all of the extra trailer package gizmos in the cab. Lol

It's not the weight that'll surprise you, it's the wind resistance. You should def be looking at V-nose trailers. Flat noses suck.

Is there a particular brand that is easier for vehicles to get in and out of without scraping exhaust?

It's a tough option to find on a tag, but Featherlite's factory folding ramps are really nice. I have the 6-foot ones on my trailer.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I suggest looking for a 2009 and earlier one. They are built better than the newer ones.

I've put a bed in mine before when traveling between SC and CA. Saved me a couple hundred dollars on hotel rooms, plus I hate hotels.

It's not the weight that'll surprise you, it's the wind resistance. You should def be looking at V-nose trailers. Flat noses suck.

It's a tough option to find on a tag, but Featherlite's factory folding ramps are really nice. I have the 6-foot ones on my trailer.

As a CDL truck driver by profession, I feel ya on the wind resistance. Fuel economy and saves the truck from having to work 2x as hard. Plus the wind gusts. Yikes!

Okay so...

24', lightweight, v-nose for the aero effect, stabilized tow hitch setup (Which i need because I have no hitch yet for the truck. Will call around to local shops.)

Two questions...what makes the previous 09 better? And also, the wooden insides of the trailers. Does humidity keep in the trailer with the wooden walls? Do they hold up well?

I like the all aluminum ones. A little extra but hey, it's an investment.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I didn't know about the years and quality, but my last 1 was built in 06. It was very nice.

Avoid wood if you can. You want the all aluminum featherlite car trailer. They hold there value well.

I hope your ol' lady is on speaking terms with you. In the last week or two you have plans to spend some green.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Make sure what ever you get stay away from straight axils, I love my trailer because of that, others I have towed have been terrible without

cj428mach

Established Member

I don't think it was so much of a weight issue as it was the enclosed trailer was a massive air dam. I can pull my car on an open trailer 75mph with out noticing it back there. With the enclosed trailer the truck struggled between 55 to 60mph unloaded, it really was the same loaded.

Last edited:

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I hope your ol' lady is on speaking terms with you. In the last week or two you have plans to spend some green.

Hahahaha! All is well, my friend. I won't be purchasing this for a little bit. Just getting a general idea. The new 3.4L and RXT1200 were enough as is. Wheels and tires next. Lol

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I don't think it was so much of a weight issue as it was the enclosed trailer was a massive air dam. I can pull my car on an open trailer 75mph with out noticing it back there. With the open trailer the truck struggled between 55 to 60mph unloaded, it really was the same loaded.

I added a 4000lb car to the enclosed trailer and I couldn’t tell a difference from empty either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

UnrealSVT

Established Member
If your budget is $8-10k you should not be looking at enclosed aluminum trailers.

--Joe
Yea I have been noticing that. My budget isn't totally set on that price. Just a beginners ballpark budget. I'm going to have to save a good bit more it seems...

Soap

Established Member
You can get a very nice steel "race" trailer in the 24'-26' range for that price. Would include finished floor, lights, cabinets etc.

--Joe

UnrealSVT

Established Member
You can get a very nice steel "race" trailer in the 24'-26' range for that price. Would include finished floor, lights, cabinets etc.

--Joe
I ran into a fellow Raptor owner at the gas station today. He had custom airbags on the back of his truck with a pretty cool setup. 28' trailer and said he goes back and forth between here (Morgantown, WV) to South Dakota all the time and it rides perfect.

Hmmmm....

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I ran into a fellow Raptor owner at the gas station today. He had custom airbags on the back of his truck with a pretty cool setup. 28' trailer and said he goes back and forth between here (Morgantown, WV) to South Dakota all the time and it rides perfect.

Hmmmm....

Your pretty much talking flat terrain. Now if your on hwy 13 in Idaho with a 20+ enclosed trailer I would say you need a diesel. But bags and air shocks on rear. inside air switch and a little compressor. Maybe look at a trans cooler if not equipped

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have a 24 foot atc enclosed. With my cobra in it it weighs in just under 7k. It had cabinets, winch etc. It was prob one of the best purchases I have ever made and tows epically behind my raptor. I highly recommend! Here is a pic loading my Taurus in it last year.
4f9fdf7391d3a4150139c6dd3b433075.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I pull a 27' all aluminum enclosed V nose with an F150 5.0. The box is 22' the remaining 5' being the V and it works absolutely perfect. A little room up front to haul tires and a jack, tote of cleaning supplies and some tools. I don't set any records getting to my destination but it gets 10 mpg. which I consider a win. I maybe pull it 2 to 3 times a year so I really can't justify a diesel.
The only thing the trailer is missing that, if I ever trade up, I will get one with an escape door on the side to make loading/unloading easier. Other option is a floor mounted winch to pull the car in with. But Im a little concerned the cable would always be catching the lower chin on the bumper cover.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I have a 24 foot atc enclosed. With my cobra in it it weighs in just under 7k. It had cabinets, winch etc. It was prob one of the best purchases I have ever made and tows epically behind my raptor. I highly recommend! Here is a pic loading my Taurus in it last year. View attachment 1470937

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That trailer is BEAUTIFUL! How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

And you're saying your Raptor pulled it without any hiccups? Stock suspension on the Raptor? Thing is gorgeous inside!

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I pull a 27' all aluminum enclosed V nose with an F150 5.0. The box is 22' the remaining 5' being the V and it works absolutely perfect. A little room up front to haul tires and a jack, tote of cleaning supplies and some tools. I don't set any records getting to my destination but it gets 10 mpg. which I consider a win. I maybe pull it 2 to 3 times a year so I really can't justify a diesel.
The only thing the trailer is missing that, if I ever trade up, I will get one with an escape door on the side to make loading/unloading easier. Other option is a floor mounted winch to pull the car in with. But Im a little concerned the cable would always be catching the lower chin on the bumper cover.

Seems like yours has been treating you well! I would also only be using it 2-3 times a year with a Cobra coupe and hopefully some tools and extras in it.

I noticed that when looking at alot of the trailers, the side exit doors and ramps. I'm sure that makes it a Hell of alot easier if all you've got to do is remove some tires or tools. Don't have to squeeze past the car...

Users who are viewing this thread