Help please guys, truck wont start

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
For last couple months my truck has been acting up intermittently and now it wont start at all. Last month i went to get in truck to go to a work dinner and it
wouldnt turn over, I figured dead battery so just jumped it off and went. On way to dinnter truck died on me going down the road cruising at 70mph. The guages swept like low voltage but no dim lights or anything. Got truck over to side of road and finally it decided to crank. Drove fine for couple weeks then did it again. Well fast forward to tues, I was on way home and it died going bout 50. I missed like it was going to die then caught back up. I got home and checked the voltage with truck running and was getting 14.5v according to my mulitmeter. Turned the truck off and checked and had 12.8v. Tried to start it again and wouldnt start, kinda laboring to turn over. I pulled my car next to it and tried to jump it , which it started up. Made me think dead cell in battery so I pulled it and went to wally world to trade it in. Got back home with it and installed new battery. Now it just turns over but wont crank. Can hear what sounds like fuel pumps priming with key on. Where is a good place to start to looking? Its got me scratching my head. Sorry for the long post but just looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance guys

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Check all fuses, grounds and main power wiring. Mods? If you have a chip make sure it's secured. If you have any add a fuses take them out and see what it does. You have an electrical problem somewhere and it's not the battery or alternator going from the info you presented.

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
mods are xcal2, 4lb lower, ported blower, hi flow cats with bassani exhaust, mafxtender, wideband, boost,trans/water temp. ill check all fuses in morn. makes me think of a bad ground. no add a fuses installed, just tapped in with fuses under dash. already checked connections on the mafxtender and those are good. thanks for ideas fellows, keep em coming.

BriteRed20s

Established Member
+1 on checking the wiring. Maybe ignition switch or circuit from ignition to the PCM. Maybe ground to the engine.

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
just got back in from checking all fuses. all were good. unhooked my guages and still just
turns over and wont start. swapped hi/low fuel pump relay with inertia relay and still no luck. pulled line from fuel filter and turned key on, shot a steady stream of fuel out so know pumps are coming on. any more ideas?

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
went back out to just see if i could load the stock tune back in. tuner says ecm erease failed. looked at the dash and see dashes where the odometer reading is. does this mean the comp is fried?

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
False, if your alternator is not operating to capacity it will kill the vehilce during drving. THe battery is already shot by this time. If your battery is dead then the alternator wont draw enough amps/volts to keep the beast up and running

Have your alternator checked......start there and then trouble shoot.

Last edited:

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
its alive , at least for now. i went back out and tried to load tune again. wouldnt connect. i took my old xcal one out and tried to load a tune. it went ahead and loaded the tune and truck fired up. put it back to factory then tried to load a tune from xcal2 again. it loaded the towing tune and truck fired up. going to hook my wideband back up and take it for a drive shortly. maybe the xcal2 didnt like the 15 degree weather and didnt load correctly. i have been leaving it in truck. stumps me but at least it running. checked voltage with truck running and still getting 14.5v, seems like alt is working

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
thanks for help guys, ill try to datalog when i go for drive to double check everything. i hate elec probs with the truck, i do enough troubleshooting elec at work being an electrician. thanks once again

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
well went out to truck to take it for a spin and datalog lil bit. wouldnt start again. loaded tune again and i got it to run. it ran long enough to let me get it under carport out of the sleet that started coming down. killed it to go in house for somethin and wouldnt crank again. decided to pull battery and battery box out so i could double check to make sure i didnt have a short on the plug for the comp. found no problems there so reinstalled battery box and battery and took a look again at fuse box. made sure all relays were seated good and then started truck, fired up and idled fine. went to put fuse box cover back on and truck died, i started it up again and when tried to close lid died again. made me look lil closer at fuse box. found one fuse, which happened to be the ecm, to be a lil loose fitting. replaced the fuse with a new one and started truck up. ran fine even when i put cover for fuse panel back on. hopefully this was my problem. ill get truck out and drive it down road when this sleet and freezing rain moves out of my area. thanks for the help once again guys

Users who are viewing this thread