Help - Power windows stopped working

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
My power windows just stopped working recently. I brought them down then up later that day and they just stopped.

Looks like they are controlled by a 20 amp circuit breaker which I replaced and that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Juruense

Banned
The glass is dragging on the inner/outer seals at the top of the doors.

This makes the motor overheat.

Then the motor stops.

When it cools they will work again.

Clean your windows more often and lubricate the seals 1-2 times per year with silicone spray.

Worst case you need a new regulator, they are cheap and easy to replace.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
It's been more than a week and the power windows haven't come back. I appreciate the lubricate comment and will have to do that more often. I will have to look into replacing the power window regulator but first wanted to make sure there are no other fuses/relays or anything stupid I should be looking at.

Thanks

Dan

doczenith1

Established Member
You guys rock!!! My drivers side front window stopped working once a few weeks ago and then again last Friday. I didn't drive it all weekend and then today while driving to work it started working out of the blue. I left it down when I got to work this morning and of course it started to rain this afternoon. I went outside to raise it and of course it wouldn't work. I decided to check this forum to find some directions on removing the door panel and did one better by finding this thread. The "slam the door while pressing the button" worked!! Thanks again, Al.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I will try the door slam as soon as I get home but I don't get any clicking or anything that's why I thought it was a relay, motor or fuse.

Juruense

Banned
The root cause is usually the glass hanging up on the seals that it goes between when it goes down...

VincodeY

Established Member
mine has done it before because of some damn tree sap. It overheated and wouldn't work. I also have fixed it before by slamming the door. Gotta love these cars! lol

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Do I need to remove the door skin to spray the tracks or is it only the felt were the window slides up from

nealc

Established Member
My motor went out in mine. The window motors in the cobras are made with lousy plastic gears. When they overheat, they melt the plastic and tear the gears up. Go to a junk yard and get an older window motor like out of an explorer. They will be able to tell you which ones match up. Also, there is a relay for the driver side window. Pull another relay like from the horn and switch them. If it starts working, then you know you have a bad relay. Definately spray your seals.

Users who are viewing this thread