Help! Removing after market SC pulley & hub

que4dog

Established Member
We need to install the stock pulley so we are trying to remove a 2.6 pulley and hub. Having no luck! The hub is not moving but pulley is deformed from pulling forward but hub not moved at all.

Any suggestions? Don't care about the 2.6 pulley, just want this thing off and the stock on.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
What are you using to pull it with? I've had good luck several times with the VMP pulley tool. Actually, I guess it's not luck at all. It's a really well made tool.

Steve

que4dog

Established Member
What are you using to pull it with? I've had good luck several times with the VMP pulley tool. Actually, I guess it's not luck at all. It's a really well made tool.

Steve

I have the correct pulley tool and I removed several stock pulleys with no problem, but this after market pulley is weaker and not strong enough to pull the hub off.

FYI...I searched and found that there is another puller for just the hub. If someone tried something else, please chime in because the car needs to be out soon and not enough time to order a part.

Stetler17

Established Member
Would a cheap steering wheel puller from the parts store be able to thread into a couple of holes on the hub? It should be really close.

May have to thread an 8mm bolt into the snout to keep from damaging it with the puller bolt.

rjm-1

Established Member
When using the VMP pulley tool, make absolutely sure the little washers at the end of the tool are the correct ones! They have to be able to slide into the hub as it is withdrawn. If you use washers other than those Justin provides, they may be only very slightly bigger but may jam and be crushed into the hub! Everything will then seize up. And it's impossible to see what's wrong. Ask me how I know!!

que4dog

Established Member
Would a cheap steering wheel puller from the parts store be able to thread into a couple of holes on the hub? It should be really close.

May have to thread an 8mm bolt into the snout to keep from damaging it with the puller bolt.

I have one but not enough holes lined up.

I would try a little heat and try to pull it off.
Nelco

Tried some heat but that hub didn't budge. If the pulley was stronger, I think I would have gotten it off.

que4dog

Established Member
When using the VMP pulley tool, make absolutely sure the little washers at the end of the tool are the correct ones! They have to be able to slide into the hub as it is withdrawn. If you use washers other than those Justin provides, they may be only very slightly bigger but may jam and be crushed into the hub! Everything will then seize up. And it's impossible to see what's wrong. Ask me how I know!!

I'll make another attempt tomorrow and ck everything carefully.

DKRIPLEAN

Established Member
I learned the hard way that it takes a lot of heat. Had to drive the car for about 15 mins and viola it came right off.

VNMOUS1

Established Member

Steve

Thanks Steve. And guess what? I have them on a shelf next to my desk (for sale). Oh, and one on my bench at home if the OP is in central Florida and buys me an icy cold beverage. :cool:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I have the correct pulley tool and I removed several stock pulleys with no problem, but this after market pulley is weaker and not strong enough to pull the hub off.

FYI...I searched and found that there is another puller for just the hub. If someone tried something else, please chime in because the car needs to be out soon and not enough time to order a part.

As they have said, get it hot (by driving it). Sit the new one on top of the blower and let it warm while taking the old one off.

Piece of cake.

Bj

que4dog

Established Member
Got it!!! First of all, Thanks for everyone's input and help. One additional adjustment I made was to pull the pulley slightly forward because with this aftermarket pulley, the pressure from the puller is behind the hub and grabs the supercharger. I positioned the section of the pulley where the puller clamps down right over the actual hub. Purchased slightly larger bolts with washers (by the way are 1/4-28 x 1 1/4) to screw in for added support and strength. Lubricated treads of puller and sprayed WD-40 everywhere.

I refused to let it beat me Lol! I will add pictures later of the setup because my help disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread