HELP! Removing T45 input shaft!

NXGHOST

Established Member
I am boggled. I am pulling an input shaft off a t45. I have removed the bellhousing and the input shaft, bearing and a few other gears are just dangling around loosely but I can not pull off the input shaft. Once the bellhousing is removed am i missing a step to be able to pull the input shaft off?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I might be misunderstanding, but the front cover has to come off. Make sure you completely drain the transmission before you open it.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
He already removed the bellhousing. As far as I know it should wiggle off. I think the bearing on the bellhousing side holds it on. Ask the 04/04 guys- probably the same idea.

CJK440

Established Member
Pull the input shaft off what, the mainshaft?

Check the rear flange (with the syncro teeth) of the input gear I'm guessing that is getting caught behind the large front gear of the cluster preventing it from sliding off.

Since you still have the tailhousing on (I assume) both shafts are supported by 2 bearings, one in the main case and one in the tail so perhaps its hard to spread the gear mesh apart to get the input to clear the cluster gear.

If you can't gently spread the gears apart to get it apart then you should consider tailhousing removal. Matter of fact, if its this hard to take apart without pulling the tail, imagine how hard it will be to reassemble.....

Check this out. http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/PreliminaryT45rebuild.pdf Notice how the tail is removed first during disassembly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread