help replacing output shaft seal on a 99 cobra

BigEasy

Established Member
My output shaft seal is shot, leaking fluid all over my drive shaft. Can anyone give me any tips or maybe a step by step on changing the seal? Been to a couple of shops and the cheapest one quoted me $200.i tryed reading up on it the only thing im worried about is the DS vibrating after install.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mark the drive shaft and the pinion flange so you can re-install it the same way. The seal is just a matter of removing the old one and popping in the new one. I like to use sockets to push on the outside of the seal.

BigEasy

Established Member
Do i need to put any silicon on the seal to make it seal better? Also i have a O/R mid H pipe would i have to drop this aswell to get the DS out??

01yellercobra

Established Member
No silicone or RTV is needed. You'll have to get under and look. I'm pretty sure you can get to the seal with the pipe in place. I did mine with the tranny out of the car.

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
FWIW take a good look at the drive shaft yoke and make sure there are no wear grooves on it (some minor ones are OK they can be dressed up with some emory cloth) but if they are large then you may need to replace the yoke, but normally the bushing in the trans takes the beating. If it is badly scored or showing a "brass" hue to it then it needs to be replaced. the seal will stop the leak for awhile but eventually the bushing needs to be replaced along with the bushing for a more permanent fix. the order of wear goes...seal, then bushing then yoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9f1VNZR3bY

Users who are viewing this thread