Help!! Should I buy Lightning or Grand National?

kelsey

Okay guys give me some help. I would like to get either a 2002-2004 Lightning or a 1987 Grand National. It wouldn't be my daily driver, just a weekend/joyrider. I could tow a camper(pop-up) with the truck and it wouldn't need much upkeep. I love the look/collectability of the GN though. Performance-wise, I could mod either one to be fast. What do you think??

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I personally love my L.....the day after I sold my 01 L I regretted it. 1 year and a half later I am back in another L. It responds well to mods, looks great, tows well and is extremely versatile. On the same note, I am thinking of trading my 93 notch for an 87 grand national.

203Cree

Established Member
Snakestress said:
just for the record, a gnx is probably the car my wet dreams are made of...

Lol, I don't think I've ever heard a chick say that, lol.

If you don't need the truck, I'd say go with the GN. I'd love to have one myself, but TWO toys right now just isn't in the budget. :)

DarkShadow Drew

Boost Addicted
Established Member
I would say Lightning but i'm biased. Not a big fan of the Grand National, not sure why.

TXRickC

Established Member
Grand National's are a nice choice, just comes down to what you want- a car or a truck.

How easy are parts to come by for the regals now days? not just performance stuff but body and interior items that might be brittle or cracked that need to be replaced?

203Cree

Established Member
No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people, one of which he is not. A badass truck that's still pretty easy to get ahold of, or a badass car that isn't around nearly as much. Tuff choice.

Bootie

Established Member
I absolutly love GN's. Classic styling and when their clean....oh yeah. But if towing, hauling and having fun are priorities, then go with the truck.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Snakestress said:
just for the record, a gnx is probably the car my wet dreams are made of...
and that's saying a shitload!

The L is newer, but the GN is rarer and a bit of a status symbol around here. The L costs wuite a bit to mod, the GN pretty much goes the same way. IF the GN was AWD I'd get one in a heart beat, but I've loved L's from the first time I heard the blower whine. Tuff call really.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
VERY tough choice, one that you will have to decide for yourself. I'll tell you this much though, GN's are a bit cheaper to mod and make go faster, and they will retain their value better than a Lightning.

I have a GN, check out my home page http://www.AyresWeb.com , and click on the GN pic that's on my main page. I just bought it back from my dad, but an about to sell it because I got a deal I couldn't pass up on another Lightning. I really wish I could keep both of them. If you are interested in a VERY sweet deal on mine PM me. I've got one guy that may be buying it locally once he settles with his insurance on a wrecked car, but if he doesn't I'll be putting it on the market. It's a 72k mile original paint, original interior car, VERY clean, with a built to the hilt motor that rolled 481 / 562 at 24.5 psi on the dyno on a 95 degree day.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Grand Nationals are badass, but (at least around here) it's hard to find one that's tip-top still.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
no doubt that the gn is an icon. but it's up to you. i think that in the future, the L's will have the same status as the gn.

if you want the best of both worlds get a cylone. now thats a trick little truck.

chiz

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
If i wasnt built motor already the truck would be gone and the GN would be in the driveway. I have loved them since the day i saw my first one

Users who are viewing this thread