HELP: steering problem

levs302

Established Member
For about the last two weeks, my car has had a bad vibration. The car is fine when under 45 mph. At 45, the steering wheel starts to shake. At 50 mph, the wheel shakes like hell. And then it smoothes out again once I get above 55. I started noticing this when I installed new wheels and tires, but since it isn’t all the time, I don’t think the wheels/tires are the culprit. I think the wider tires I put on just emphasized the vibration. I think it’s the steering because while I’m going around a corner at speed (like an on/off ramp) the whole car will twitch to the outside without the steering wheel moving or the tires loosing traction. I recently had it into the shop for a 4 wheel alignment, I told them about the vibration, but they were clueless. Anybody have an idea of where I should be looking? Any help is much appreciated.

levs302

Established Member
anybody?? not very confidence inspiring when the car starts to lurch in the middle of a corner at 75. i dont know where to start, and dont have the budget to just replace one part after the next

mav_tu

Established Member
Any other mods to the suspension? If you have lowering springs, you should invest into some caster/camber plates. They are a necessity if your car is lowered. Is anything else shaking? Like the armrest, shifter, dash, or pedals? If so, that could be something in your drivetrain out of balance.

mav_tu

Established Member
Any other mods to the suspension? If you have lowering springs, you should invest into some caster/camber plates. They are a necessity if your car is lowered. Is anything else shaking? Like the armrest, shifter, dash, or pedals? If so, that could be something in your drivetrain out of balance.

elicium

Established Member
sub-frame connectors? (wont make the car pull, and shouldnt make the wheel shake, but will give unexpected body roll at decent speeds, altho they more prohibit the bending bumper to bumper of the car and general twisting, could account for your body roll) someone smack a curb and u not know about it ? problem describes alignment to a T, so double check that alignment report u got from the mech. had the same problem, i burned thro a set of goodyear eagle f1's when i dropped my vert an inch, in a matter of 3 weeks, was almost running on the inside side wall, *was waiting for the next paycheck to take it, cost me twice as much with new tires* body roll could be caused by a number of susp parts just warn out, or one bad part, shake the car around (... when its parked) see what kind of response times ur getting, def. do a full underbody check, ... check the sway/roll bars eyeing them from the side of the car wont do it, make sure u didnt snap one up at the bolt or that theyre not bent, same with sub-frames, check to make sure some dipshit didnt try to jack it up under one or they havent been damaged, c&c's just make it possible to align a car past the point of the stock limits, or if ur having a problem with the car holding the alignment, im not saying its not that, i dunno, only way to check would be to have another alignment done... lol, check the tires for uneven tread wear often... would be a shame to have to correct this problem and then have to pick up another set of new tires 2,

even tho u stated u just had an alignment done, thats where id put my money

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
have you checked the wheel weights, im sure you have but i still gotta ask. its happned to me in my old truck. it seems like a likely cause because of the new tires and alignment.

just my 2 cent.

levs302

Established Member
thanks for the tips. the car doesn't have any suspension mods or subframe connectors(yet). i had the wheels balenced, and all the weights are in place, so i'm assuming their balenced correctly. i guess i'll look into another alignment. can anybody recommend a good shop in NH?

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Has the car slid into a curb or anything like that? A bad hub could give you vibration, or a bent spindle, but you would have to have smacked something for that to happen. I would also check the castle nut on the end of the spindle on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread