help! tailights stay on!!

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
my tailights are on, like if my brakes are pressed, right now. Ive been smelling like plastic burning inside my car for the past couple of days (dont know if this has anything to do w/ it). I just got home and turned off my car, and my tailights wouldnt go out! What could be the problem?

mikey99cobra

Established Member
dunno, but i would unplug the battery while its not running. OR you can find the fuse that runs the tail lights and pull it while the car is parked. That might be a better fix until you find out what the real problem is. good luck and keep us posted.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Brake light switch. gets you every time, Damm.
Under dash, never looked at it on mine, but changed many on other cars, will be a switch with a push button type thingy that touches the arm on the brake pedal. Un plug it for the night if you can get to it. Change it tommorrow.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
I've actually had my brakelight switch fall out of it's bracket, allowing the button to depress and keep the brakelights on 24/7. Take a look under your dash, it should be located about halfway up the brake pedal arm on the top.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I've also had the brake pedal return spring get too weak to pull the pedal all the way up. Used to be caused by resting your foot on the brake pedal ...

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
yup, it was the brake switch. the smell of burning plastic was indeed part of it. it almost damn melted the switch. bought replacement, problem fixed. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread