Help - ticking noise...

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
I have a 1995 R-model with a 351 and there is a ticking noise from under the hood which occurs more often at lower rpm when cold and higher rpm when warm.

This ticking noise occurs after acceleration when I am lifting from the throttle pedal as to maintain speed or shift (it does not do it if I am decelerating). If I get back on the throttle the noise goes away until I lift from the accelerator pedal to maintain speed or shift. (keep in mind I am not depressing the clutch).

As noted, the problem occurs at lower rpm (like 2200+) when the engine is cold and elevates to higher rpm when warm (like 3200+).

Any insight as to the trouble spot?

Thank you for your interest and any insight or replies. Hopefully someone knows what this exactly is so I can move on. The car is otherwise perfect and has done this since the day I bought it, it has not gotten worse or changed in any way. The ticking noise only occurs under load (so I cannot simulate standing along side the car with the hood open).

Ron.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
lots of possibilities.

-loose rocker
-collapsed lifter
-exhaust leak

I would suspect valvetrain though.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Hmm, sounds like a lifter, but with a car like that, I would definately take it to a dealre you can trust. That is a sweet car you have, and I wouldn't want some wing nut farting around with it. MAKE SURE you are cozy with the dealer though. I had one break a shifter fork in my car while testing it after an alignment. I was such an idiot when I was 20.

Users who are viewing this thread