HELP! Tranny wont go in to reverse!!!

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I have a 03 Cobra wt 55K miles.........my TOB was screaming bloody murder so me and a buddy wt experience in the matter changed out my Clutch,flywheel/TOB,TOB retainer sleeve,piolet bearing,and upgraded to a 26 spline input shaft. The list of new parts were as followed.....................
Spec 3+ Clutch Kit=Clutch,pressure plate,TOB,alighnment tool,piolet bearing
Fidenza alluminum fly wheel
LFP TOB retainer sleeve
Tremec 26 spline input shaft
$3 Orileys bearing for 26 spline input shaft(THAT WE PRESSED ON WITH A HAMMER AND THE OLD TOB SLEEVE AND A LARGE DEEP SOCKET)
Long story short we get it all in plus a few unrelated things(IRS brace and U-joints) I drive the car home late Sunday night........all feels well(as far as I coukld tell.........then Monday I drive it to work and around town(I am driving wt caution for break in period never over 3000 RPMs) all day Monday is good and today starts a little wierd....I hear sounds I am suspiciouse of but really nothing.......I decide to go ahead and get a new clutch cable and this is when things get funny.........late tuesday night we install the clutch cable .....test drive the car....all is good......I say thanks to my bud for the help and begin to back out of his drive way......when I go to put the car in 1st.....it feels like its stuck in reverse.....then I tug but not to hard and it feels kinda stiff.....but wont really go in to any gear.....but I get it in to first......long story short again the car goes in to all foward gears great......but reverse is almost impossible.....also a few times I tried to force it in to reverse it made a nasty grinding sound so I let out....I did this two more times and the same issue occured....my bud gets in and finesses it in to reverse.......I could never get it in to reverse.........I make it approx 30+ miles hm even stoping for a bite(but still no reverse)......again I hear a few suspiciouse sounds.......but this is my first stick let alone clutch upgrade......and the Spec 3+ is suppose to be good to 800rwtq.
So does any one have a clue what this might be????????????????
sORRY FOR THE LONG STORY AND TERRIBLE SPELLING BUT ITS ALMOST 3AM AND IT HAS BEEN A LONG WEEK!

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Did you set the end play after you installed the new input shaft?
The last Tremec shaft I used was way off, unlike the Liberty's which are usually dead on.

The reverse issue could be a pinched wire that finally wore through the insulation. Check the loom on top of the bellhousing.

Dana

Last edited:

BadZ06

Established Member
Its not a lockout issue. When it jams from reverse, it almost locks the shifter from moving side to side while in neutral. Its possible the ring behind the input shaft has broken or is not set right, however if it were not right it should have been doing this from the get.

Last edited:

LS1-Larry

Established Member
The last Tremec shaft I used was way off, unlike the Liberty's which are usually dead on.

The reverse issue could be a pinched wire that finally wore through the insulation. Check the loom on top of the bellhousing.

Dana
Sorry if this is a dumb question.........but what is the "end play" and how would it be set.
Im not 100% sure as my buddy was the one throwing the input shaft in!

LS1-Larry

Established Member

Dana
According to Amber at 6 speed inc. the Liberty 26 spline input shaft is manufactured by Tremec.........they just slap there name on it:shrug:

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Oh and to let every one know what the problem was..........we finally gave up and took the tranny to 6 speed inc. turns out the new TOB retainer sleeve we installed was not fully pressed in and we had a seal in backwards......I think that was pretty much it........I got it back Christmas eve morning and installed that same day wt help from my buddy Jerry(by help I mean he did all the work).

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
According to Amber at 6 speed inc. the Liberty 26 spline input shaft is manufactured by Tremec.........they just slap there name on it:shrug:

Not sure on that, but I am sure that the one Tremec piece I installed had to be shimmed .038. All of the rest of the installs I have done required just a couple of thousandths one way or the other or none at all because they were dead on. Maybe I just got a bad piece?!? I'll know when I get the next one from Tremec.

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Well I ended up having to take my car to local shop here in Houston,Tx. called six speed inc. and turns out we didnt have the TOB retainer sleeve pressed in far enough(it looked fine to us) and we also had a seal in backwards(I dont know how) but they tore it apart and put it all back together and I believed shimmed it and what not and it seems good now!
BTW they did this all during the Holidays I got the Tranny back on Christmas eve morning!

Users who are viewing this thread