HELP! Transmission problem on 99 Cobra

LJHoffman77

Established Member
I was driving home from work last night and the transmission got stuck in 4th gear. Never heard any unusual noises prior to trying to downshift at a stoplight when it wouldn't come out of 4th gear. Luckily I was able to get the car home by taking a slightly different route that allowed me to start on a downhill. After I got home I was able to force the shifter out of 4th and it will go into 1st, 2nd and reverse OK, but it will not go into 3rd gear at all and if I put it back in 4th I have to use a lot of force to get it back out. I pulled off the leather shift boot and the rubber dust cover so the top of the transmission is exposed. There were a few pieces of rubber and a couple broken zip ties mixed in with the grease around where the shifter goes into the transmission. I cleaned all that out, but still am having the same problems. I'm just looking for some guidance on what my next steps should be? It's not my daily driver, so I'm not in a big hurry to get it fixed.

My Cobra is a 1999 with around 108k on the clock. No major mods to the engine. It has a MGW short throw shifter that was already installed when I bought the car just over a year ago. I'm fairly new to the SVT scene and would appreciate any help I can get. Let me know if I've left off any pertinent information that would be helpful.

LJHoffman77

Established Member
Is there a way to tell for sure if it's a bent shift fork? I didn't have the engine running when I tried it last night, I'll try again when I get home today with the engine running.

jacker1991

Established Member
Is pretty easy to be honest, I did it a few months ago. This is how I did it:
1. Drain the transmission.
2. Remove X-Pipe(or H pipe)
3. Remove engine starter.
4. Remove the drive shaft.
5. Start removing the bolts holding the transmission to the engine. Our transmissions come out with bell housing and everything. Weight should be about 104 lbs completely drained.

WARNING: The top two bolts will require about a foot long worth of extensions to be able to get to them.

I would not try to get that transmission down by myself, very heavy and something might happen as losing balance because of the weight or something like that. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

LJHoffman77

Established Member
Does anyone on here have any recommendations on which route I should go with the T-45 Source rebuild? I'm on the fence between the "Street Heat" and the "Street Strip" rebuild. I'm also not sure if I shouldn't just add the 26 spline input shaft while I've got it out. My motor is currently stock, but I'm planning on doing a rebuild in the future and will most likely go add a blower at that time. I'd rather get the transmission squared away now while I have it out than wish I would have done it right in the future. Any idea at what HP level the 26 spline input would be required? Any suggestions/input I can get from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I would go ahead and do the input shaft. But, you are going to add onto your expense. New clutch, and resurface a flywheel, or a new one.

As for taking out the tranny if you havent already, here are my tips.

After removing everything else, starter, drive shaft, etc. Unbolt the crossmember and let it hang. when it hangs put a small jack with a piece of wood infront of the engine( as it was to hold it at that angle. To get to the upper 2 bolts, I use this combo, socket to universal joint, and 2-3 6" extensions. Once you break it loose I put a drill at the end in place of the rachet and "Vwa La". Put a jack under her and out she comes. Actually did this on the ground by myself, in and out.. Another person helping makes it a lot easier.:beer:

jacker1991

Established Member
Like the previous poster said, you would need to expend more money if you decide to upgrade to a 26 spline input. Totally worth it if you got the money, spend a bit more now save a lot later. From what I know this things are not rated in HP, they are rated in TQ. The 26 spline will help withstand hard launches, specially since the 10 spline is pretty weak(if you plan to FI). The best person you can talk to is to Zak himself, he has a lot of experience and more info on the T-45 than most people here(no offence to anyone :D). I went with the Street Heat build because I plan to stay NA, and had a new clutch already installed :(. Whatever you decide to do you won't be disappointed, they do great work and have decent prices. If any of my information is incorrect or outdated please feel free to correct it, not a mechanic here.

LJHoffman77

Established Member
Well I finally got around to removing the transmission yesterday. You guys weren't kidding, those top 2 bolts are a royal PITA to remove. Good thing the kids weren't close because I came up with some creative new swear words :)

I'm going to get it boxed up and shipped off to Zak at the T-45 source this week. I haven't removed the clutch yet to inspect it, but I'm thinking I might go ahead and put a new one in while I've got the transmission out since it was so much fun to remove. Any suggestions on what clutch to go with? I haven't started looking yet, but thought I'd get some suggestions from the forum.

jacker1991

Established Member
Well I finally got around to removing the transmission yesterday. You guys weren't kidding, those top 2 bolts are a royal PITA to remove. Good thing the kids weren't close because I came up with some creative new swear words :)

I'm going to get it boxed up and shipped off to Zak at the T-45 source this week. I haven't removed the clutch yet to inspect it, but I'm thinking I might go ahead and put a new one in while I've got the transmission out since it was so much fun to remove. Any suggestions on what clutch to go with? I haven't started looking yet, but thought I'd get some suggestions from the forum.

Are you planing to upgrade to 26-spline or staying with 10? Best time to upgrade would be now if you got the cash.

Mike out! :coolman:

LJHoffman77

Established Member
I'm torn on the 26-spline upgrade. I don't have any plans to upgrade the motor in the near future, but now would be the time to upgrade the trans. I've already got the quote for adding the 26-spline input shaft. Any idea how much the new clutch and flywheel would run me?

jacker1991

Established Member
Depends on the brand. I love McLeod Mcleod Mustang 26 Spline Street Twin Clutch Kit w/ 8 Bolt Aluminum Flywheel (96-04 Mustang GT ; Bullitt ; Mach-1 ; Cobra) - Mcleod - Clutch Kits - Clutches - Transmission - 99-01 SVT Cobra. Before going 26-spline you really need to be sure of what are your plans for the car. I would not waste the money if the car will never see over 400 RWHP. Since I decided to stay with the 10-spline I bought Exedy Mach 400 Mustang Clutch (Late 01-04 GT, Mach 1; 99-04 Cobra) 7805 - Free Shipping!.

Mike out!

Badasssapper67

Established Member
$1255! Plus the $400 for the 26 spline input shaft! This cant be the most cost effective way to a reliable tranny with a blower. Plus the jingle for the T45 rebuild. Isnt there another tranny that can cope with 600-800 ft/lb of torque?

Users who are viewing this thread