Help.. Truck wont start

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me out here. I went outside to start my truck and it would not start. I honestly dont know a lot about these trucks so I do not even know where to start looking for the problem. I can hear it trying to turn over, then nothing. Do I need a new starter? With the exception of a Viper alarm with remote start, my truck is a stock 99. Could the problem be caused by remote start. It was professionally installed by a very respectable stereo shop in town. Thanks in advance for all the help. It is greatly appreciated

yellowcobra98

if a jump dosent help try tapping on the starter with a hammer while someone hold the key to star some times the starter will freeze or get a flat spot,if none of this works get a new starter

ralphy1798

Established Member
I would take you battery out and down to kragen or any battery test center... seeing that its a 99 i think you need a new battery! Just did the one in my g/f's bug this weekend, its a 2000. WHen you turn on your lights, are they dim as all hell? If so then its for sure th battery!

Jeff

Last edited:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
alot of battery problems are mistaken for the alternator...might want to get a volt meter and check some readings...

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to mention that I got a new battery less then 4 months ago, so that shouldnt be the problem right? If it is the starter, any idea what the cost of a new one would be? Again, thanks for all the help.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
If you hear the truck clickin when you try to start it....it's not the starter. Check your grounds on the battery. Like TorchRed said, take it somewhere and have some readings done on it. And last, The battery you bought my have a dead cell. Trucks need a lot of amps to turn them over. GOOD LUCK!!!

petrolbill

Established Member
might be the fuel pump. my 99L fuel pump stopped working because one of the hoses came off of it. you don't need to buy a new one, you just have to put hose clamps on it.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
if u hear the fuel pump as u would normally then its okay, and if u lost a hose...well i doubt it unless it got RIPPED off...my friend's dad's 5.0 fuel pump went and it sounded like a retarded fuel pump like it BZZed and stoped and then BZZed and again and so on...not a straight BZZ until the fuel line is pressurised...hope that helps...i am sure its ur alternator though, who knows maybe the belt is bad...

Users who are viewing this thread