Help! Vibration on slow acceleration from a stop

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Well, my car has 300 miles on it and I keep noticing what I would call a moderate vibration any time I start from a standstill and ease the clutch out. It feels like the engine is stuttering even though the rpm's stay at a constant 1,000-1,200. Now, this only occurs when I'm trying to just make a smooth rolling start. If I keep the rpm's really low around the 700-800 mark and go from there, it's smooth. If I keep the rpm's at 1,500+ it's smooth.

I called my dealer and they said that it's possibly normal on a new car because the clutch and flywheel are brand new but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe as the vibration is not going away.

Anyone else experience this? Will it go away after more miles?

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
sounds like a clutch chatter and it will not go away

we all have it and is common characteristic of this type of performance car with this type of racing dual disc clutch.

373 gears and more power will really diminish that chatter your feeling though

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Thanks! I was kinda of thinking it was simply the dual clutch setup. I've never driven a car never mind owned one with this much power before. Now that being said, will it damage the clutch/tranny when it does chatter like that? Should I always try to drive around it?

Thanks again.

chuckstang

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about any damage, it can take it and the chatter is just the nature of the beast.
Im assuming your very familiar with driving manuals, you will get used to it?

I drove my gf's corolla stick and wow what a difference hahaha

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Yeah my previous car was an 05 Mustang GT manual. I suppose I will adjust. I just wanted to make sure that it was a production issue.

Thanks again chuckstang.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Well, my car has 300 miles on it and I keep noticing what I would call a moderate vibration any time I start from a standstill and ease the clutch out. It feels like the engine is stuttering even though the rpm's stay at a constant 1,000-1,200. Now, this only occurs when I'm trying to just make a smooth rolling start. If I keep the rpm's really low around the 700-800 mark and go from there, it's smooth. If I keep the rpm's at 1,500+ it's smooth.

I called my dealer and they said that it's possibly normal on a new car because the clutch and flywheel are brand new but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe as the vibration is not going away.

Anyone else experience this? Will it go away after more miles?

....I have the exact same problem on my 08 GT500. I currently have 1400 miles on it and the vibration is still there. Ive noticed that this clutch seems to appreciate more rpms and a faster release than some of the other SVT cars that ive owned. Ive learned to avoid the vibration for the most part, but it still happens when Im in stop and start traffic. For the record, my dealer told me the same thing as your dealer, and Im prepared to live with it for now.

Ford is married to this trans/clutch and drivetrain for at least 3yr36k and beyond......so if it gets worse, we can always exercise our warranty rights in the future.
With that said, I did take it in to the dealer, so I could have a record that I
suspected a problem etc. Also, remember there are some significant TSB's
on our clutchs and many threads in here have the exact TSB info etc.
Some forum members have demanded the TSB service parts in question, to be changed.....

Remember: When in doubt? burn out!..........:-D

sprint200

Established Member
Even though the Owner's Manual GT500 supplement says that this is normal, it is not. Ford & the SVT engineers have spent the past 2-1/2 years evaluating the clutch failures and have traced them to an inadequately designed flywheel. It warps under the heat from the dual-disc clutch under stop & go traffic and/or loading and unloading (ie: transport) conditions.

I had the TSB performed on my car last week and the clutch chatter is completely gone. I can't make it shudder even when I try now.

Pay close attention to the shifting characteristics. If it becomes hard to shift or if you "mysteriously" start missing 2nd to 3rd shifts or have to slip the clutch to get into reverse when cold then take it straight to the dealer for the TSB work.

CDW63

Established Member
Even though the Owner's Manual GT500 supplement says that this is normal, it is not. Ford & the SVT engineers have spent the past 2-1/2 years evaluating the clutch failures and have traced them to an inadequately designed flywheel. It warps under the heat from the dual-disc clutch under stop & go traffic and/or loading and unloading (ie: transport) conditions.

I had the TSB performed on my car last week and the clutch chatter is completely gone. I can't make it shudder even when I try now.

Pay close attention to the shifting characteristics. If it becomes hard to shift or if you "mysteriously" start missing 2nd to 3rd shifts or have to slip the clutch to get into reverse when cold then take it straight to the dealer for the TSB work.

I occasionally have the chatter when releasing the clutch in 1st gear. But something more concerning is that I have grinded the gears when doing a higher RPM shift from 1st to 2nd (normally an easy shift). I will monitor the car for any other related shifting issues, might have to visit the Ford dealership soon.

sprint200

Established Member
I occasionally have the chatter when releasing the clutch in 1st gear. But something more concerning is that I have grinded the gears when doing a higher RPM shift from 1st to 2nd (normally an easy shift). I will monitor the car for any other related shifting issues, might have to visit the Ford dealership soon.

Sounds to me like your clutch is dragging; a direct result of the warped flywheel. This should be covered under the drivetrain warranty so you've got time. But I wouldn't wait if I were you. The car drives so much better with the right parts :rollseyes

Just in case you haven't read the TSB here's a Link. Your symptoms are specifically mentioned.

xbolt68stang

09 GT500
Established Member
"Well, my car has 300 miles on it and I keep noticing what I would call a moderate vibration any time I start from a standstill and ease the clutch out. It feels like the engine is stuttering even though the rpm's stay at a constant 1,000-1,200. Now, this only occurs when I'm trying to just make a smooth rolling start. If I keep the rpm's really low around the 700-800 mark and go from there, it's smooth. If I keep the rpm's at 1,500+ it's smooth."

I've got an '09 with around 600 miles on it. I've also noticed a vibration on low rpm starts since I first got the car. The car being so quiet doesn't help either (SGT axlebacks on order). I think it's normal, but I'll definitely be quick to take it in if any other symptoms arise. I think if I took it to the dealer for this now, they would probably look at me strange and give me a hard time, or would they? I've just been starting at a higher rpm with quicker release.

sprint200

Established Member
I've got an '09 with around 600 miles on it. I've also noticed a vibration on low rpm starts since I first got the car. The car being so quiet doesn't help either (SGT axlebacks on order). I think it's normal, but I'll definitely be quick to take it in if any other symptoms arise. I think if I took it to the dealer for this now, they would probably look at me strange and give me a hard time, or would they? I've just been starting at a higher rpm with quicker release.

The TSB states "Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms.........."

So the 2009's are not exempt. My belief is that "all GT500's will exhibit" these symptoms IF their driven at all.........:rolleyes:

Listen carefully to the hiss, if it ever continues with the clutch all the way in, take it in. If you start noticing you "miss" shifts that should be second nature to you, take it in. If it grinds, take it in. I first noticed symptoms additional to the "chatter" when I had to slip the clutch to engage reverse.

Also, If your clutch engagement is at the very top of the pedal stroke you may also have an issue with your slave cylinder. Mine had to be replaced along with the other stuff, and several other owners have reported the same trouble.

chuckstang

Established Member
I dissagree with your last observation, the clutch should release near the top of the clutch pedal travel and if it releases too close to the floor, then you should take it in.

smrtasp

Established Member
I also cant seem to get into second at high RPM's and thought it was just me not shifting right. Funny thing is that I wasnt having this trouble when I first got it....

ARMSTRONGClark

Maybe you have one weak plug or one weak coil. A way to test these coils is to locate the terrible plugs. Drag the boots off of the plugs and make sure there is any moisture. Also check if there is any moisture around the spark plug body. Be sure that your car is well maintained so that it would not be hassle to you if there is any problem.

sprint200

Established Member
I dissagree with your last observation, the clutch should release near the top of the clutch pedal travel and if it releases too close to the floor, then you should take it in.

Chuck,

My clutch action was ALL within the top 1/2" of pedal travel! From day one!:nonono:

That's just as bad as being at the very bottom of the pedal travel............

Several people who have had this condition have all had the slave cylinder replaced. And miraculously, their clutch engagement moved to a more normal "middle of the pedal stroke" location.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
sprint200,

I haven't yet had an issue with missing shifts or grinding gears. I will definately pay very close attention over the next 1,000 miles and note if it gets any worse. Thanks for the link to the TSB.

Squeeler92

You guys ain't felt anything until you feel a SPEC clutch in an LSx-based car. Chattering is an understatement. Makes the whole car shutter ... it's fun when people ride in the car for the first time and they grab the "oh-shit" handles thinking the car is about to explode, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread