Help! Vortech install and parts questions

Sharksfan81

Established Member
I recently purchased a used Vortech V1, I was told it was rebuilt and upgraded to a T-trim about 8k-10k ago. This is for a 98 cobra, stock block for now. So just going to run the 3.63 pulley, should be about 7-9lbs.
So here are the questions I have:

1) Should I have it looked at or rebuilt? But it seems to be in good shape. Not sure how it's suppose to feel as being worn or having bad bearings.

2) Came with a hybird universal intercooler and piping.

3) Came is a Tial BOV pipe, but no BOV. Do I need to buy the Tial BOV? and how do I know which one to get?

4) 60lb siemens injectors. Are they to big? or can the be tuned down?

5) No MAF, Guy said the piping was set up for PMAS or one of the pipes is PMAS MAF Sensor. What's the best MAF to get and will it work with the injectors I have?

6) Do I need an FMU? It didn't come with one. But when I have it tuned I don't think I will need it, but I have heard they help for drivability on the street.

7) I have a fuel take from a 97 cobra... I am thinking I should swap that in and just splice it into my car. That fuel tank already has a 255lph pump in it and it will be easier I have heard for upgrades as the 98 is kind of a bastard style fuel tank.

8) Besides the intake pump do I need a inline pump too? What should I go with? Any other fuel mods needed? fuel pressure regulator? anything?

9) With a safe tune I think this should be good on my stock block till I get my new shortblock built.

Thanks for all the help and advice I can get in advance.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I recently purchased a used Vortech V1, I was told it was rebuilt and upgraded to a T-trim about 8k-10k ago. This is for a 98 cobra, stock block for now. So just going to run the 3.63 pulley, should be about 7-9lbs.
So here are the questions I have:

1) Should I have it looked at or rebuilt? But it seems to be in good shape. Not sure how it's suppose to feel as being worn or having bad bearings.

It wouldn't hurt to have it looked at, but as long as it feels smooth and you don't hear any kind of grinding when you turn the impeller, you are most likely ok. Make sure you don't see any oil leaks around the seal area's.

2) Came with a hybird universal intercooler and piping.

3) Came is a Tial BOV pipe, but no BOV. Do I need to buy the Tial BOV? and how do I know which one to get?

I am not sure if Tial uses different flanges for different BOV's or not?? I personally run a Tial 50mm with a 3 psi spring.

4) 60lb siemens injectors. Are they to big? or can the be tuned down?

I think you can run these with no problems. I have read that the newer style injectors can be tuned down much better than the earlier ones.

5) No MAF, Guy said the piping was set up for PMAS or one of the pipes is PMAS MAF Sensor. What's the best MAF to get and will it work with the injectors I have?

Just about any MAF can be tuned to your injectors. I run a PMAS Pro Tube, but I always recommend running the Slot Style MAF's only because you will most likely never peg one, so if you go that route you will not need to upgrade in the future. VMP sells everything you need if you go with the slot style.

6) Do I need an FMU? It didn't come with one. But when I have it tuned I don't think I will need it, but I have heard they help for drivability on the street.

Not if you get rail mount fuel pressure regulator for your stock rails....

7) I have a fuel take from a 97 cobra... I am thinking I should swap that in and just splice it into my car. That fuel tank already has a 255lph pump in it and it will be easier I have heard for upgrades as the 98 is kind of a bastard style fuel tank.

8) Besides the intake pump do I need a inline pump too? What should I go with? Any other fuel mods needed? fuel pressure regulator? anything?

The 255 will handle the power you plan to make just fine. Like I mentioned, I would get a FPR. I know Aeromotive makes one for our cars.

9) With a safe tune I think this should be good on my stock block till I get my new shortblock built.

Thanks for all the help and advice I can get in advance.

I hope this helps! I am sure there are other people here who can help....

Sharksfan81

Established Member
Thank you so much for the info! I am still not sure if I should swap in the extra 97 cobra fuel tank while I can. I know it's suppose to have more fuel pump options. Also the 97 already has a 255 in it so free is always good too.

harvboi05

Established Member
I'd swap in the 97 tank. If you forge the motor you can go with a pick up tube and big inline pump setup and save hundreds over a sumped tank or 03/04 swap. You don't need a second pump until you start pushing things harder.

Any tial bov will work. they're about as loud as they get, so heads up. Verify your intercooler size, it may be a limiting factor later on.

I ran 60lb injectors on my stock block and my current setup. No fmu needed. Ever.

Find a tuner you trust and talk to him about the Maf stuff. I'm running a big sct Maf, but if I could do it again I'd run that vmp setup.

98 tanks have options, but after the limits of a single pump, its all less than ideal.

Sharksfan81

Established Member
You guys are awesome! This was the information I needed. Doing the tank swap this weekend and I will verify what pump the 97 tank has in it. I will also order the BOV and call a couple tuners in the area and ask them about what they recommend for MAF.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If Vortech did the rebuild call them with your part # on the head unit plate and they should have info on what and when it was done..

Users who are viewing this thread