Help: Whipple intercooler bolts

Venomous04

Established Member
I'm in the process of replacing my cracked intercooler with a new (well used) one. I started to torque the first of the ten intercooler bolts as supplied by Whipple however even with my torque wrench set to 2Nm (as per the instructions) it feels like I'm over tightening it and on the verge of stripping it. Indeed I can see where I've begun to strip one bolt.

Just wanted to confirm that I should be using a 4mm hex socket (This is the kit I have: Stanley FatMax Professional Hex Drive Socket Set, 13-Pc | Canadian Tire ).

Also my problem could be that the torque wrench I'm using (Mastercraft Maximum 3/8-in Drive Torque Wrench | Canadian Tire) isn't precise enough to do 2Nm.

How is everyone else with a Whipple doing this otherwise easy task?

thanks,

Marc.

Ironhand

Banned
I thought they were 5 or 6 mm bolts with a 12.9 grade(or grade 8 equivalent).

I'm trying to find the little bag the bolts came in from Whipple.

Venomous04

Established Member
Thanks Ironhand, I don't have the bag (didn't do the initial install myself). I used a 4mm t-handle hex to remove them so figured thats what I'd use to re-attach them :/

cheers,

Marc.

Ironhand

Banned
Thanks Ironhand, I don't have the bag (didn't do the initial install myself). I used a 4mm t-handle hex to remove them so figured thats what I'd use to re-attach them :/

cheers,

Marc.

As soon as I find it ill let you know. I found one of the Whipple bags but not the other. I'm almost certain that its a M5 or M6 bolt that goes into the Intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread