Help! Will these tires fit?!?!

cobrachic

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra and just purchased 18x10 wheels for the rear. I also purchased some 305/40/18 Nitto 555R's...but they look awful big! Will these fit? :rollseyes
What size tires/wheels are you guys running?

whitesnake97

Established Member
I have the Y2k Cobra 'R' rims that are 18 x 9.5..... I am running 265/35/18 on front and 275/35/18 on back. I could probably go bigger in the back. no rubbing issues at all so far.. Car has been lowered about 1.5 inches...

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Should fit fine but they seem a little tall for that wide of a tire.

cobrachic

Established Member
I am just worried that it will be too wide and rub the exhaust. The car is lowered about 1.5 inches and even though it will fill up the wheel well, I'm not as concerned about the height as I am the width.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrachic
I am just worried that it will be too wide and rub the exhaust. The car is lowered about 1.5 inches and even though it will fill up the wheel well, I'm not as concerned about the height as I am the width.

What's the back spacing on the wheels you have?

97whitecobra

Established Member
It will probably, depend on what kind of exhaust / tailpipes you have they are all bent and hang a little different. I have Bassani and only .25" clearance between tire and pipes. Also as others have said backspacing on the wheel will make a difference as well. What kind of wheels?

cobrachic

Established Member
The wheels are from Billet Specialties, but I'm not sure what the back spacing is - I haven't received them yet. I have a Bassani also...that is where I figured I may run rather close.

97whitecobra

Established Member
I haven't tried any spacers but I have thought about it. Maybe just a 1/4 inch or so if it doesn't look bad. You could consider that.

hantzis

Established Member
I bought Nitto E. 275/40/18s all around for my 18X9.5 Cobra R rims. The profile will be your problem> I have the eibach pro kit (1.5" drop) and with Nitto 275/40/18s, the tires would rub against the top of the fender guards when hitting little bumps.

I got my tires at Discount Tire Co. I drove up the street about a mile before I realized these tires were not going to work. I drove back and they offered to take them back and ordered me Kumho 275/35/18s. No rubbing at all with 35 profile. Maybe you can return the tires? I would recommend doing so, if you can.

Also, if you have 3" pipes out the rear, you may run into rubbing issues with that wide of a tire.

Good luck,
Dean

Last edited:

cobrachic

Established Member
well, all I have to say is NFW! :shrug: So...I am going with Khumo 275/35/18's on the rear and staying with the Nitto 255/45/18's on the front. The Khumo's aren't a drag radial, which is what I wanted, but hopefully they will hook up okay. :burnout:
I will be sure to take some pics with the new wheels and tires to post them - my car will be on display at the Ford Centennial this weekend!! :coolman:

cobrachic

Established Member
It's rio red and has a 'ghost' horse painted on the side. It will be in the SVT area....I'll try to post a pic of what it looks like now with the stock wheels.

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrachic
well, all I have to say is NFW! :shrug: So...I am going with Khumo 275/35/18's on the rear and staying with the Nitto 255/45/18's on the front. The Khumo's aren't a drag radial, which is what I wanted, but hopefully they will hook up okay. :burnout:
I will be sure to take some pics with the new wheels and tires to post them - my car will be on display at the Ford Centennial this weekend!! :coolman:

255/45/18s - I KNOW those won't fit. THe sidewall will just be way too tall and the top of your front tires will rub against the fender guards.

I recommend 275/35/18s all around, if the front rims are 18X9.5. I had 255/35/18s up front on my Cobra Rs(18X9.5) and they were too skinny for the rims. 275/35/18s should fit fine up front if you only lowered 1.5". I have the same setup. Plus with 275s all around, you can rotate which can save you some $$.

Dean

97whitecobra

Established Member
Sounds good. I heard of people showing thier cars there, but I didn't even know it was going on until about 2 weeks ago.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Very nice, paint job looks great. Who did it?

I have 265 x 35's on a 9" wide wheel up front they fit great. No rub.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread