Help. Winding noise while decelerating

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
I just recently installed the mgw short throw shifter in my 97 cobra. Now when I decelerate in gear i hear somewhat of a "Winding" down noise. It is rather loud in all gears but the loudest in 2nd (I assume because second is a bigger gear). I can also hear it winding up while I accelerate but it's definitely not as loud (might just not hear it over the engine). I am not sure if installing the shifter caused this noise somehow, or maybe with the new shifter I can now hear the noise that was always there. This noise sounds as if its coming from the transmission or somewhere in front of the drivers seat. I have not noticed any change while driving the car... this is just a noise.

Anyone know if this is a bad thing? or maybe what is causing the noise?

Any other information you might need let me know.

Ilya

I got problems.
Established Member
If you went from a stock shifter to an aftermarket shifter (MGW in this case) you would most certainly pick up some transmission noise. MGW, from what I understand, is the quietest shifter on the market outside of the stock shifter.

SnakeStang96

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I have the same thing with my Pro 5.0 shifter. Its just tranny noise, nothing to really worry about. I just got my tranny replaced couple months ago. You can buy special gaskets to make it not so noisy. There is a guy on here that sells them very cheap and work great. Just search for it.

Users who are viewing this thread