Help with 14MM IRS Bolt

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Today I just received my 14 mm IRS bolt from Maximum Motorsports. I removed the 12 mm bolts and tried to get the 14 mm bolts installed. I was not able to get the 14mm bolt to feed through. It looks like the hole is just big enough for the 12 mm.

Has anyone else had any problems with this? Do I just need to hammer the bolt through or is there another solution?

Eric

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Check out the MM website and check out their directions. They have a section that describes what to do if they don't go straight through. A bit of a pain but doable.

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
It's not an alignment issue, it's more of a diameter issue.
I don't see anything on the website about the bolt & Nut diameter not fitting in the stock bushings.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The hole is big enough....it's just that sometimes the IRS shifts when you take the 12mm out and it can be difficult to line it back up again. I used a hydraulic jack to manipulate the IRS and was able to hammer it in on the one difficult side. The other side went in no problem.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Did you do it on the front or the rear IRS mounts. Only the FRONT mounts need the 14mm bolts.

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
I'm doing the front IRS bolt. I don't think the IRS has shifted on me but it's a possability.
I can see straight through the hole. The 12 mm bolt slides in and out easily. The hole in frame would easily support the bolt. I just wasn't sure if the 14mm bolt would fit in the stock bushings.

jmrjr

Are the 14mm IRS bolts are problem on any of the 2004's? I just bought mine, have about 600 miles on it and I hear a noise when a take a hard left turn (a plunking type noise). I replaced my shifter recently and noticed some stickers under the console w/ March 25 2004 dates, so my car was built after that time.

oldschoolBC

Established Member
I just got my IRS bolts in today and was looking under the car trying to figure out where they go myself......hav'nt got it on the rack yet

so has any one installed these bolts and noticed if the clunk went away?

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
I just lowered my Cobra and installed the 14mm bolts. It's a PITFA but they'll fit. I had to use jacks, tie down straps and a pry bar to get the holes to line up.

While your at it check your rear IRS bolts. Mine look like this

IMG_2864.JPG

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Re: irs

Originally posted by oldschoolBC
did the clunk go away?

I never really had that clunk. My car has the hub clank though, still has the clank. Haven't tried to induce wheel hop yet. New tires are too expensive. I suspect the bolts were hammered from the hop.

jmrjr

Thanks for the responses - I ordered up a set from Maximum Motorsports, but they won't be here for a week. I'll drop a note if these take care of the clunking noise.

MP3_Stang

LabVIEW Guru
Established Member
14mm Bolts

The bolts help reduce the amount of clunk I have, but there is still a little bit. It was diffinently worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread