Help with a clutch tranny noise I'm hearing please.....

Brad

Banned
When you’re off the clutch you can hear a squeaking coming from somewhere. It sounds like the squeaking is originating from something that’s spinning, what or where I have no idea. When the car is stopped and idling you can hear it, its not painfully loud, but loud enough you know something’s not right. On the highway if you get in the left lane and you’re in gear cruising you can hear the noise echoing off passing cars and whatnot. Today at idle it was doing it, so I jammed my foot under the clutch pedal and pushed it toward me to get all the tension off it, and the squeaking stopped, when you depress the pedal it stops, when the pedal is neutral it makes the noise, any ideas guys? TIA

Brad

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by StlBlack03
Throw Out Bearing

Ok, I have very little experience with clutches here but what is that? Serious problem? How can I fix it? What does it do? Do I need a lift? TIA.

Brad

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The tranny comes out for this one. The TOB rides on a tube which goes over the input shaft. It contacts the clutch's "fingers" when you push in the pedal. Basically, it's nearly the same procudre as replacing the clutch $20 for the part, and $350 to install it).

I strongly suggest that you install an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster (I like the UPR Extreme) after you have the TOB installed. Part of the reason for the squeal is the pos stock quadrant. A bigger part of the reason is the pos TOB they put on as stock. I liked the Timkin bearing from AutoZone better than the OEM Ford part.

torchred03

Established Member
Agree it's probably the TOB. It should be covered under your warranty. The 03's have been eating them, Ford supposibly has fixed it. I'll find out when I get back mine started squealing just before I left.

Users who are viewing this thread