Help with bolting up magnaflow system on 2001

wudekstyle

Established Member
what's up guys. just had a quick question. my friend has a 2001 Cobra. he just got a magnaflow system to put on but he can't reach the bolts to get the pipes off the manifolds. he said something about the starter being in the way....any help would be great. he has to do it himself since we are in CA and they won't touch anything pre-cat. i haven't looked at it myself yet, but he is a decently mechanically inclined person, so i don't see the big deal with throwing on the system. does the starter need to come off or what needs to be done? thanx a lot for any help.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Do you have air tools?? If so go get an impact wobbely and the right size socket, I forgot. It can be done without taking the starter off, it will be a pia without that, even if you don't have air get an impact wobbely, normal wobbelys are to wobbels for me. Good luck!!

kaos

Established Member
Many different extensions and a shot of pb blaster or wd-40 should do the trick. Where in california are you guys?

DCx 01SVT

Established Member
Magnaflow

Hey guys Its my car he is talking about. I live in San Bernardino. I was using a really a snap on impact gun and a long 20" 1/2drive extension, with a 15mm socket. I had a wobbly that was way too wobbly. I got on the bolt a few times but the sucket would just chew up the edges because the wobbly would turn it kept geeting stuck on everything. My dad is a retired mechanic and I was doing this un supervised. I know he has all the right tools for the install but I could not find them all. I ended up just installing the magnaflow cat back with 3.5 inch tips. The system looks nice and fit about a 8.5 out of 10 but I really hate the way $500 sounds. I could swear that I still had the stock system. On the broghter side I installed a pro 5.0 today and it is indeed a nice piece. Its even more fun with my fat knob. Thanks for the help.

Justin

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
You need to find a mid-length 15mm socket to get it done. Sears sells one. The normal deepwell sockets are too long. I did mine with hand tools and no wd-40 or anything like that.

If you can't find a mid-length take the deepwell and cut a little off the end with your cutting wheel and then grind it level if you have to.

Good luck

kaos

Established Member
I thought it was too quiet too, but wait until you put on the pipe. It's plenty loud, but I want more and everybody thinks I'm crazy. I might add magnapacks sometime in the future.

DCx 01SVT

Established Member
I thought about cutting the socket shorter but didnt because I was using my new tool set. I had a 1/2 inch drive 15mm socket but it had to be at least 3 inches long. Seems like I could only get on the bolt at an angle with the long socket, but the stud was too long for the short one. I just took the car out for a long drive and I like the low drone it makes at around 2300. I installed a new pro 5.0 and its a really nice shifter but it feels really stiff. I installed it the first time but forgot to put that small plastic cap that is on the stock shifter (that covers the metal ball that is inserted in the trans) with out that piece the shifter had forwad and back motion in neurtal. So after reinstalling that piece problem solved. I set the stop bolts but it still seems like it is a pain in the ass to find second when down shifting.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
The Pro 5.0 is a great shifter. It takes a little getting used to, or at least it did for me. When your coming from that sloppy ass stock shifter, it does feel stiff. All that will wear off as you get used to the shifter. The 2-3 mechanism makes downshifting for the first few times interesting. You'll get used to it.

-Brett

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Originally posted by trents99
You need to find a mid-length 15mm socket to get it done. Sears sells one. The normal deepwell sockets are too long. I did mine with hand tools and no wd-40 or anything like that.

If you can't find a mid-length take the deepwell and cut a little off the end with your cutting wheel and then grind it level if you have to.

Good luck

That worked for me! The 15mm with a swivel, and an extention. And I worked on mine for about an hour and fought with it. I sprayed some antiseize on it let it sit for about 5 minutes and broke it free in 1 minute. After that it was a piece of cake!

rcurtis

Established Member
Put a Magnaflow x pipe and cat back on an 01 convert. No problems. Use a 3/8 drive set and you can reach everything. Less than an hour and a half for both. Sounds good but have not had it on a dyno yet to see the results.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by trents99

DITTO!!! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread