Help with bug guts

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Does anyone have any tips for removing bug stains on your front bumper?

Juiced-03

Established Member
If they are fresh, I use my normal car wash soap mixed with water and let it soak on the bumper for a few minutes. That usually breaks them up enough for me when I begin washing. Poorboy's makes a product called Bug Squash that is worth trying if bugs are a common problem.

If they are dried on and seem hopeless, a claybar wash will usually take them right off. You will want to polish it right after the clay to remove whatever is left and to restore the gloss to the paint. Then follow up with your sealant or wax, whichever you use.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Oh yeah, Stoner's makes a product that may help also:

autogeek_1868_148049998

and you can generally find it locally (Autozone, Kragen, Walmart, etc)

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Thanks for the info :banana: What do you do about a bug gut that has stained your bumper? Almost like an etch in the clear coat.

Juiced-03

Established Member
greystorm said:
Thanks for the info :banana: What do you do about a bug gut that has stained your bumper? Almost like an etch in the clear coat.

Well for that, I will first clay it to break up anything I can. Then I use a semi-aggressive polish (like Poorboy's SSR2.5 or Meguiar's DACP #83) with my buffer. I use a rotary buffer for this type of task, but I imagine you could also use a PC with a cutting pad. Then follow it up with a lighter polish, then seal/wax it.

You might even be able to get them out by hand with a paint cleaner or polish, if you work at it long enough! They would surely come out with the buffer and polish though. I'm not sure what kind of products you have on hand, but you may need to buy something online that will have enough power to cut them out of the paint. Do you have a Porter Cable polisher? I would try using any paint cleaner you have by hand first, and work it on the paint a while. If that doesn't do anything, you will definitely have to do it by machine. :beer:

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Well, I did clay the bumper today and there are still some stubborn stains in my bumper. I can't stand those bug guts :bash: :bash: No, I don't have a Porter Cable polisher, just my hands :( :( What kind of paint cleaner?
Thanks again for all your help :) At least I know there is hope.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well it sounds like you don't want to order online so as far as what's available locally I can't really help you. I'm sure Mother's, Meguiar's, and others all make a paint cleaner product you can pick up. Even a polish would work. Just look for something that is specifically made for paint cleaning and/or polishing. A sealant or wax is not what you want to remove them, but it would be a great idea to follow up with a wax or sealant.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Oh I just remembered, 3m products are sold locally in most parts stores, so that would be my choice. Or, Meguiar's Scratch X would probably be a good second pick.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Make sure you re-wax the front bumper where you use aggressive tar removal products, as these products take off bugs AND any wax/sealant you may have on the front. A good wax/sealant coat will make bug removal easier in future.

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Oh I just remembered, 3m products are sold locally in most parts stores, so that would be my choice. Or, Meguiar's Scratch X would probably be a good second pick.

Thanks again Bryan :) We have an auto paint store in Victoria that sells 3M products (that is where I purchased my clay bar). Oh, and I don't mind buying online. If you know of something better than a 3M paint cleaner let me know the name :thumbsup:

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
cobravenom39 said:
A good wax/sealant coat will make bug removal easier in future.

I do have a good wax coat on my bumper. I actually normally clean the bug guts off daily when I get home after work with just a little soap and water. But here lately I have become a little lazy :eek: :eek: so now I have stains :( :cryying: :( :cryying:

Juiced-03

Established Member
greystorm said:
Thanks again Bryan :) We have an auto paint store in Victoria that sells 3M products (that is where I purchased my clay bar). Oh, and I don't mind buying online. If you know of something better than a 3M paint cleaner let me know the name :thumbsup:

If you are doing it by hand, I really think the 3M stuff should be fine for you. Hopefully they aren't too deep into the clear coat that will need a machine buffer to get them out :(

The paint store should be able to give you a good recommendation on which product would be best. I am not too familiar with the 3m line (I know they have good products though) but I'm sure they make a simple paint cleaner or polish. If you lived near me I would just come by and wipe them off for you :-D

97WhitePony

Established Member
believe it or not, dryer sheets work also. just rub over the bugs with it, i usually use a little bit of water for some lube.. but i tried it on mine... i still think clay bar works better though (of course) :banana:

Last edited:

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
If you lived near me I would just come by and wipe them off for you :-D

Hmmmm, Northern California, I'll be there in three days :lol1: :lol1: I used all the strength I had to try and get them out with the clay bar. I think I am going to try the cleaner next and if that doesn't work then I will invest in a Porter Cable polisher :thumbsup: Thanks again, you have been a great help :thumbsup:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Instead of spending the money on a PC just for that, I'm sure you could also pay a detailer a small fee and he could get them out. It would be a lot of money for the PC, pads, and polish just for the bugs. If you know your Ford service advisor, he may even have one of his detailers buff them out for you.

Also, if you tried really hard with the clay, the paint cleaner may not do very much I'm sorry to say. But it is still worth a try for under $10 or so! Best of luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread