Help with choosing a handgun

Ginsu

Established Member
I am very familiar with auto's but really don't know crap about revolvers. I am looking into buying a .44 mag with about a 3 - 4" barrel. Right now I am concidering a Smith & Wesson model 629

3" barrel

!
163411_large.jpg

4" barrel

163603_large.jpg

But I am open to other suggestions and opinions. Price will be play a large part of my choice.

Thanks

Krieger

Established Member
Not a big fan of revolvers so here's some autos:
Kimber .45 - One of the best .45 auto's out there. Between $600 - $1200
Glock .40 $350 - $650
H&K P2000
Don't bother with a desert eagle unless you have BIG meaty paws and like the idea of almost 18in of muzzle flash.

With firearms my priority is quality and power not cost.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu
I am very familiar with auto's but really don't know crap about revolvers. I am looking into buying a .44 mag with about a 3 - 4" barrel. Right now I am concidering a Smith & Wesson model 629
3" barrel

WHY??

To use for what????
Surely not concealed carry.... Way too big... Way too heavy!!!
Why do you want a .44mag???
Jimmy:shrug:

Ginsu

Established Member
Krieger, ohh a Kimber 45 or Colt Defender is on my list. I do like Glocks and have a 23 but planning on getting another HK USP to add. And to kind of answer Jimmysidecarr question at the same time, just because I always wanted one of the most powerful hand guns. An uncle had one and I loved to shoot it. All I would use it for would be to go to the range and shoot.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu
Krieger, ohh a Kimber 45 or Colt Defender is on my list. I do like Glocks and have a 23 but planning on getting another HK USP to add. And to kind of answer Jimmysidecarr question at the same time, just because I always wanted one of the most powerful hand guns. An uncle had one and I loved to shoot it. All I would use it for would be to go to the range and shoot.

Ok ...... They always hurt my hand when I shot them.... An amazing pistol though.....

I only have one pistol.....And it's for daily concealed carry...
A Kahr MK40 Elite 98 w/ night sights
One of ..... If not ......THE........ Smallest 40 caliber auto in the world....
A pocket gun with the power of a 40!!!
I love mine!
And no one knows when I've got it on me...:coolman:
Jimmy:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Must have a Glock. Ugly, but reliable as hell, easy to maintain, and high capacity.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
Ok ...... They always hurt my hand when I shot them.... An amazing pistol though.....

I only have one pistol.....And it's for daily concealed carry...
A Kahr MK40 Elite 98 w/ night sights
One of ..... If not ......THE........ Smallest 40 caliber auto in the world....
A pocket gun with the power of a 40!!!
I love mine!
And no one knows when I've got it on me...:coolman:
Jimmy:thumbsup:

Kahr :beer: I am partial to the PM9 but the MK40 is also very nice.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Revolvers are inherently safe weapons and will give you 5 or 6, depending on the weapon, solid shots at what your pointing the weapon at. Secondly, it's your constitutional right to bear arms. The more the better. It's my opinion that every freedom loving American should posses a firearm, or two. The more law abiding Americans that posses fire arms the more freedoms we posses. "We the People" is only defended by those who have the capability to. Take away the firearms and you will see the erosion of liberties...the begining of the end. I think it was Thomas Jefferson who stated that it's the second amendment that ensures the first amendment. In short, the wright to bear arms ensures the freedom of speach. Do not pay attention to those who tell you that your right to bear arms is not necessary. They are interested in one thing only and that's ability to take your rights away.

I like my Ruger .40 cal. It holds 10 rounds with one in the chamber and has the power to do the job if need be, animal or man. Honestly, to pull the trigger on anyone would be the last resort. I hope the fear factor of pulling back the slide, to chamber a round, would be enough to get the bad guys running scared.

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
If you want fun, and big, the new S&W 500 or the Desert Eagle 50.

I have the DE and love it, also had a 454 with 6" barrel that was fun to shoot.

UK

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Since folks hijacked your revolver thread to talk about auto's...

Those are good guns, but recoil will be unpleasant. It wont be intolerable, but it will be a bit.

Also, you should check out the Taurus revolvers. They are VERY similar to the S&W's. Taurus firearms have come the farthest in the shortest period of time in quality as any other out there. I love my 357 Titanium Taurus. (Before you other bash me, i also have a DE 44 w/ 50 cal conversion, IMI 40 cal baby eagle, Belgian 9mm high power, Beretta 96 40cal, Smith 686 357, and many more that i aquired while still a gunsmith).

The smiths are very good firearms, time tested and match approved. The triggers are safe and usually very tight from the factory. And i can only remember repairing (as in fixing something that is broken, not any upgrades) 2 smith's in my gunsmith time. Both where just wore out. One didnt even have rifling left in it and the trigger sear was gone. The other was a broken hammer, i suspect from dry firing.

Either of the above revolvers would be a good, fun, and long lasting investment choice.

hamrmech

Established Member
smith and wesson 357 with six inch barrel. i think thats what my grandma carries. looks freaking huge! i like the raging bull one! local gun store had it on sale and the counter monkey said they havent even ordered ammo for six months for it.. nobody wants that massive sucka! well, i do! bullets arent cheap though, so ill just go handgunless. my .22 will have to do, and maybe ill get an 870 express or that mossberg short shotgun for round the house. nothing says "back up mofo, so you dont stain the rug" like racking the slide on a shotgun.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Another good firearm to have for home defence is a 12 or 20 guage 870 express loaded with deer slugs. Let's just say this, a 3 inch shell with a deer slug will cut in half a salt treated 4X4 post and keep on going. If you suspect someone trying breaking into you house, in the middle of the night, the sound of a chambered round into a shot gun will drive most intruders out.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by Mr. Mach-ete
you suspect someone trying breaking into you house, in the middle of the night, the sound of a chambered round into a shot gun will drive most intruders out.

I dont want to scare an intruder only to have him rob my neighbor the next night. If he is in my house, he WILL be dead. Period. I practice my routine once a week since crime has gone up in my town.

As far as revolvers, I like the the Taurus .357 and S&W .38 special. Or how about the S&W Model 500 .50 cal?

hehe

tb_gun-lg.jpg

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
looks like your thread got off track

:bash:

Ah well
I own a Smith & Wesson Model 29 Classic Hunter 44 magnum
Revolver All Stainless Steel With a Six inch Barrel with the factory full lenth barrel Under lug, looks just like a big Smith & Wesson Model 686 ,357 Magnum Revolver in Stainless Steel
The Model 629 Classic Hunter is tight and crisp as well as fun to shoot with that Big Magnum power you like .
Look to spend $450 to $650 used average condition or Better
---> at your local Crossroads Of The West Gun Show,,
:beer:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
I own a 3-inch S&W 629.

Love the thing as I can shoot the .44 Special & Magnum rounds through it. If you shoot magnums, be real careful to hold on ... the recoil is stiff, but not as bad as people let on.
Not a pistol for concealed carry, but very easy to operate and clean....I recommend stainless over blued steel for ease of cleaning. You can use WD-40 on it to break up carbon fouling.
I've owned a Ruger Redhawk, but that was a 7" barrel. Reliable, well-built revolver that I gave to my dad.

~Big tip~

Don't fire hot-loaded lead bullets in it unless you enjoy scraping lead from the rifling grooves. If you want to fire anything over 1000fps, use a jacketed bullet.

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
I agree with the above sentiments about the Taurus guns. great guns at a great price. ( I have a PT99AF) However...I would NEVER use any other caliber handgun for home protection other than .45. Most other calibers have too much penetration. The last thing you need is a slug that will pass right through the intruder...through a wall...then into a neighbors bed room. The military prefers .45 for a reason. It's a big slow moving slug that dumps all most all of it's energy into the victim. Hit someone outside of the kill zone with a .357 mag or 9mm and the slug will pass right through with minimal distortion. Hit someone with a .45 outside of the kill zone and it's like getting hit by a 200 mph fast ball...it won't go through you but will knock you to the ground immediately. Nothing beats a .45 for sheer knock down power. My .45 of choice is the Sig Sauer P220...argueably one the finest made .45 autos on the planet. If I had to shoot someone inside my house...I'd first reach for my 12 ga. Mossburg Defender. Shotguns have an "intimidation factor" that hand guns can't match and they have very little penetration power with the right load but best of all.....youu don't have to be the best shot.

Users who are viewing this thread