Help with convertible leak

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
Excuse me for not reading this whole thread. I'very had a few at a bar and perused... I doubt your mirror is leaking. My New Edge had some leaking in heavy rain too. Next time it is half decent outside rub some white lithium grease across the seal above the winshield. That is a common place for vert seals to compress and/or dry out. The grease seeps in and prongs the life of the seal. I've had 2 VW verts and a Mustang GT vert and that was one of the first thints I did to the car ...and by me, I mean. My wife had two VW convertibles haha

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am almost positive it is not leaking from the top header or side seals. The top was replaced a few years ago before I got the car and is in good shape. I was planning to replace the top with one made from Haartz cloth in future with all new seals at that time.

Depending on the weather here, I plan to remove the passenger mirror and seal up with some dum-dum. I was thinking that could be a entry point for water as the wet spot is on the floor directly under the mirror. I'm also going to (carefully) pull the wiper cowl and inspect for drains and debris.

If you replace the top, get the Haartz Stayfast Canvas. I have that on my 02 GT and it is amazing!

TheDoughboy

Established Member
I found the source of the leak and have fixed it. My explanation might be clear as mud ;)

On both corners of the windshield header seal where it meets the top of the A-pillar seal there is a drain hole. This drain is a channel that allows water to flow down the A-pillar seal and exit into the outer door jamb just above the top door hinge.

The seal was torn from behind where the water exits from it, allowing water to flow on both sides of the door jamb pinch weld. Some water goes outside and some gets inside. Flowing down behind the foot well kick panel, under the sill trim and onto the carpet. I used rubber cement to join the torn area back together. Then after it dried I ran silicone sealer over the top of it. I also ran the silicone up past the torn section to give it added strength. The white stuff in the pic is the silicone and it dries clear.

seal3_zpsgxbsrza7.jpg

seal4_zpslyqxinsr.jpg

seal5_zpswzkkmwlb.jpg

seal6_zpsqgufmak5.jpg

seal7_zpsthvaidui.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread