Help with emissions failure --TURBO?

00SVTC

Established Member
Hey all,

I need some input on failed sniff test. It's an 89, so I have to go on the rollers. quick run down on the setup:

302 Block, stock cranks and rods, probe forged pistons, stock CR
AFR 165cc pedestal mount rockers, B303 cam, 1.7 roller rockers
cobra intake manifold, 30lb injectors, ford racing MAF.
Air pump removed, air injection removed, and it currently has magnaflow high flow cats (new).
It has a twin turbo setup, with meter set for blow through. I dont have any tuning as of yet, and for street driving I had cut the timing back. For the emissions test, I set the timing back to factory (since there is no load on the dyno it doesnt make boost)

They measure the emissions in grams per mile. Heres the results

Gas Limit My Car
HC 2.00 9.59
C0 30 26.2
N0x 3.00 2.02

Now, I've been told that these cats do not need air injection, any one verify? Will it help to put the air pump back on and pump some air into the cats?

Here is why I posted in the blower bistro. I have been talking to different people, and one person told me this; even though there is no boost created (no load), the turbos are still moving air. When the throttle is closed, the air has no where to go (the blow off valve is not open, since it needs the boost pressure to open it and there is none) so it is going moving back and forth over the MAF, sending signal to put more fuel in. Is this reasonable? other people have said this isn't reasonable. I figure the blower bistro is the place to ask this question.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread