Help with first time at the track

rubicon1979

Established Member
Ok so I have never drove a car down the track, ever. My car is 13 base GT 6m 3.73 gears. Its bone stock other than a roush axle back. I've got a set of Forgestar CF-5's to go on before I go and the rear tires will be MT drag radials 305/35/19. It'll be me and a bunch of friends going to a test and tune on a Sunday at Montgomery Motorsports Park.

How should I do a burnout at the track? How long should it be etc? Launch technique on the drag radials? Ride the clutch or drop it?

Yea I sound like a noob and that's because I am! Any and all advice and tips appreciated!

Thanks!

danponjican

Established Member
With the MT Drag tires back into the water, put your car in 2nd, rev to 4k and drop the clutch. If you want to warm them up more than that, then after dumping the clutch grab the brakes at about 50% to control your forward movement.

Your launch rpm will depend largely on the track conditions. Start at 3k with a very rapid release (not side stepping) and work your way up until you break loose.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Pull around the water, back into the water, roll back out of the water, then do a 2nd gear burnout. Of course, hold the brake/traction control button down for a few seconds to disable advance trac.

Don't just dump the clutch, slip the clutch out from 2500-4000rpm's. The car should not bog or spin, as you are looking for a the in between.

Have fun.

mhyjek

Established Member
Warm them up, plan to leave the hole around 4k then get ready to grab some gears and if all is successful you should be in 5th gear in the low 12's if not better!

Users who are viewing this thread