Help with friend's car

thnktwce

YES!! I am!!
Established Member
My friend has a 03 cobra. It is bone stock. He added the k&n fipk intake on, and now when he pushes the clutch in, and slows down to stop, or to turn into driveways the car just dies. I pulled the intake apart and nothing is messing with the air flow going into the maf. Anyone ever heard of this?

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
There was a "Stall Issue". The original factory tune was prone to stall on some 03s. There is a TSB (Service Bulliten) about it at Ford dealerships, and they have a new tune to fix it. If it is running the original stock tune, this would be my first guess.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
OK...folks...when you make a mod, and then the car starts doing something stupid...UNDO what you last did, in order, until the problem clears up. Then, DON'T put that mod back on the car, until you've got the theory of operation of the mod completely understood and what OTHER modifications will be required, to maintain stock drivability.

Yes, there was a TSB on this. But, the car drove fine beforehand. Therefore, before the dealer works on the car and screws something else up (they are human)...STOP. Put the car back to stock, and think.

There were plenty of issues with aftermarket CAIs causing problems during the early modding months with the 03-04 Cobras. These issues were caused by a bend in the tubing, immediately before the MAF.

Inspect your friend's new FIPK...if it has a bend immediately before where the MAF mounts, that's the issue. If that's the issue, get him to put it on eBay as fast as he can...then search the archives for one of the better designs. There are plenty.

Good luck, HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread