Help with Insurance. Hit and run

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
I was rear ended last week in my Svtfocus and the guy took off. I have uninsured motorist and it says under my plan " uninsured motorist property damage $3500" can someone explain to me why the insurance company says they wont cover anything but my medical?

mercury insurance FTL

Jefe

Established Member
Depends on your states rules but UMPD should cover that. How much damage do you have? Did they say why that coverage wont pick it up? Whats your collision deductible?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Tell your insurance company you will have your lawyer contact them. Then go find a lawyer.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
A hit and run collision would be covered under your collision deductible. Not your UM coverage. That coverage comes into play when you are in an accident, it is not your fault and the other person doesn't have any insurance. Your policy would cover you without raising your rates. In this situation you will pay your collision deductible, and anything over would be covered by your insurance.

Just for the record, I'm an insurance agent w/ American Family and I have also had to file a hit and run claim this year.

Last edited:

_GuRu_

Established Member
Im assuming that the OP doesnt have collision coverage, but does have either Medical or PIP (if available in your state).

Thus they are agreeing to pay your medical, but not your personal property due to the lack of collision coverage.

If you do have collision, as was suggested, contact a lawyer if they will not cooperate.

Im a property and casualty agent as well with MetLife, for the record

Jefe

Established Member
A hit and run collision would be covered under your collision deductible. Not your UM coverage.

Unless you carry UMPD, not just UM for medical

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage insurance (UMPD) pays for damage an uninsured driver causes to your vehicle. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage insurance may also protect your vehicle if a hit-and-run driver damages it. Covered property may include personal property as well as your vehicle, depending on the state.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
USAA....that is all....
well some companies will reimburse you your decductible if they find you are not at fault. at least USAA did with us but then again it was in TX and it might be different in each state. good luck man, ****ing hit and runs are horrible....

Jefe

Established Member
well some companies will reimburse you your decductible
They will do that and then subrogate the other party for your deductible. In this case though, we have no idea who the other party is

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
oh i know, was info in case he wants to switch later. some people don't know unless they ask about it. i didn't know but buddy told me and when i asked all of a sudden they remembered...damn insurances lol

Users who are viewing this thread