HELP with LED conversions

cgarray17

Established Member
So switch out my headlights and fogs with HID and all went smooth and great and at the same time did led turn signals and led rear break lights and led reverse light. Well blinker goes nuts now when turned on blinking fast and on the rear tail lights I'm only getting one led on each side that lights up normal. Left rear tail light only the far left bulb is on and on the right rear tail only the inside light closest to the licence plate lights up. What gives??? If it matters I also have the raxium plug and play sequencing tail lights. Please help so anoying and caint figure it out.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
When there is less resistance on the turn signal circuit, the bulbs will flash faster. Think of how when one turn signal bulb goes out, the signal blinks faster. This lets you know that you have a bulb out. In essence, when you installed the LED turn signal bulbs, you lowered the resistance on the circuit so much that you have created the effect of having only one incandescent bulb operating. So, your resistance is so low that your circuit is operating with the current draw of one normal bulb. This can be easily corrected by purchasing a set of resistance correctors like these: http://www.banggood.com/2pcs-Motorcycle-Flasher-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Resistors-Adaptors-p-957573.html?currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=ruby&utm_campaign=motor-us&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqYCkBRC4xNiSu5-Y-PcBEiQA96OM9C9E-hhRTyJW-ykDWvj6SucKKuhTNN9YlyUzmkPhZsQaAsTO8P8HAQ

For the taillights, I would switch around the bulbs to make sure that they aren't damaged. Also, put them in the opposite way i.e. just flip the bulb around in the socket. When I did my license plate LED bulbs one side didn't work and when I switched the bulb around in the socket, it lit right up.

Also, when there is too little resistance on a circuit (as happens when switching from regular lights to LED), the circuit will not recognize the fact that it is being used. For example, when I installed LED brake lights on my motorcycle, one side turn signal would work and one wouldn't. The only difference was that the side that worked also had the turn signal light come on in the gauge cluster. So, I replaced the defective turn signal bulb (of the non-working side) on the gauge cluster and magically, it started working. Conclusion: the circuit didn't recognize that it was being used because the LED draws too little current. With the addition of the other bulb in the gauge cluster, there was enough current draw to operate the circuit. This may also be a reason why not all your tail lights are coming on.

cgarray17

Established Member
Thanks for the response so I just need a few sets of resistors it sounds like. Now question is how many do I need and where do they need to be spliced in?

cgarray17

Established Member
Another new discovery now. I was checking the working bulbs again by having someone just push the break pedal and all the car lights would come on when they pressed the pedal lol dam led were supposed to be easy haha guess not.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Thanks for the response so I just need a few sets of resistors it sounds like. Now question is how many do I need and where do they need to be spliced in?

Yup, just splice them in anywhere along the wire. They probably make some that are plug n play. If not, you can fab some up just by getting a set of connectors and attaching them to the resistors, then you can plug the existing harness into the resistors at one end of the resistor, and the other end of the resistor into the light bulb. I would honestly just splice them in right before the bulb in the existing harness. You could even get away with those crimp on splicers too...

Another new discovery now. I was checking the working bulbs again by having someone just push the break pedal and all the car lights would come on when they pressed the pedal lol dam led were supposed to be easy haha guess not.

All the tail lights would come on when braking?

Well, that has to do with what I was saying before: with just your running lights on, there isn't enough current being drawn on the circuit to turn on all the bulbs. Solution: add some resistors lol.

cgarray17

Established Member
Ya so iv got that now need to order resistors. Flipping the non working tail light bulbs over got them all working but with all 6 now working in the back and the led turn signal up front it was causing no signal to work, there was just a loud humming noise coming from the gauge cluster and the arow was just lit solid(I bet it's just the system thought all the bulbs were out and was really freaking out that I had no turn signals). So conclusion I proceed to remove all the leds from the system for now and put the stock bulbs back in until I can get the proper resistors and the time to install them again :(

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I had led's on my motorcycle and those resistors would get hot. Really hot to the point that you could easily burn yourself or surrounding material if you had the brake light or flashers on for a prolonged period.

Be careful where you mount them.

SV

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I hate the fact that these cars need the resistor to increase the current draw. Kind of defeats the purpose of going with LEDs to reduce the power consumption.

Could this be solved by swapping out the Flasher? That's a pretty easy fix if it can be fixed by swapping them out.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I hate the fact that these cars need the resistor to increase the current draw. Kind of defeats the purpose of going with LEDs to reduce the power consumption.

Could this be solved by swapping out the Flasher? That's a pretty easy fix if it can be fixed by swapping them out.

I don't think most people go with the LED bulbs for decreased power consumption, I think its a purely esthetic thing. I don't know of anyone that makes custom or aftermarket flashers for LED applications.

I agree though, there should be a way for this to be done without adding resistance... maybe one day someone will create a whole new set of flashers for these things that use a lower resistance. That would have to be customized for how many LED bulbs on what kind of circuit etc. Great idea.

cgarray17

Established Member
On ddm website they have a few flasher circuit but I'm not sure what one I would need. I would try it if they had one for our stangs

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Call ddm. They have great customer service. They will tell u what's up or point u in the right direction.

The resistors would solve the no signal problem.

cj428mach

Established Member
They make electronic flashers that don't work off of heating up and cooling off to reset.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Pull your flasher and look at the size/pins. You need to replace it with a LED flasher. Don't need the $$$$ resistors on these cars.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Pull your flasher and look at the size/pins. You need to replace it with a LED flasher. Don't need the $$$$ resistors on these cars.

If you replace the flasher all-together it will cost more than just adding resistors. The resistors are cheap, not sure about the flashers. I'd imagine they are way more expensive as modules, than some plain in-line resistors...

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think they can be found at reasonable prices, like $12... plus shipping I'm sure....
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...rs/ep27l-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/784/838/

It looks like the 5 pin flasher that American Muscle has (and a lot cheaper too).
http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-signal-relay-9604.html

I imagine inline resistors are cheaper - but getting it to work with less of an electrical load (especially with our cars) would be a desired goal if I were to swap out incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

EDIT: The only downside I can see in doing this is you won't have the fast flashing if the bulbs go out (and you wouldn't have it with inline resistors either)...

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
If you replace the flasher all-together it will cost more than just adding resistors. The resistors are cheap, not sure about the flashers. I'd imagine they are way more expensive as modules, than some plain in-line resistors...

Electronic flashers are under $15 at your local parts house, well worth it to have a plug and play clean install.

GoingHaam

Established Member
I had led's on my motorcycle and those resistors would get hot. Really hot to the point that you could easily burn yourself or surrounding material if you had the brake light or flashers on for a prolonged period.

Be careful where you mount them.

SV

I have a full HID/ LED conversation and i don't like how resistors get so hot, subconsciously I always try pay attention to how i have my signal lights on.

since we are on the subject is it normal for them to get to hot to hold?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
In order for the resistor to trick the relay into thinking it has a bulb there - it has to burn a similar amount of power that the light bulb would consume. Think that resistors are like incandescent light bulb that don't produce light (only heat). The resistor can get hot.

Users who are viewing this thread