help with n/a setup

96lasersvt

Established Member
will a stroker help with the torque loss from a ported short runner intake?i am getting ready to start my build and was thinking about a stroker.i have already bought a set of the updated 03-04 heads, an intake from a 01 cobra,and a teksid block from a 95 lincoln.i want to have the heads ported and a good valve job done and have the intake ported with a spacer.i want to run about 11 to 1 comp,and have someone hook me up with some custom cams.i am not building a racecar,just a fun to drive street car so im not really looking to rev past about 7500.i know i would need a short runner intake to rev that high but i dont want to give up a lot of bottom or midrange.if i add a stroker to what i want,will that help with that?basically what im asking is,what would the diff be between a 4.6 with a ported stock length intake vs a stroker with a short runner?:shrug:

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
With a tuner who knows what they are doing and isn't afraid to go a little aggressive on the tune you shouldn't lose much if any torque with a stock stroke engine.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Gears are the perfect remedy for lack of low end torque. Set of 4.30/4.56s and you would just blow straight into your powerband.

However a stroker is an excellent idea for some extra HP/TQ

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
How high do you wanna spin it. At 7500 the trans becomes an issue because not all of them will shift that high. If you wanna have a peak rpm of 7500 you'll need a 5.5" short runner, it will reduce mid range but from 6k to 7500 it will be killer with the right cams. On that subject, cam selection is crucial when going with an intake that has 5.5" runners, get them wrong and power and driveability will suffer greatly.

An 11:1 stroker with the right cams will probably be in the 420/330 range with a 5.5" intake. With a stock runner length ported intake it'll be more like 405/370, which IMO would be far more fun to drive.

Last edited:

96lasersvt

Established Member
thats what i am after,is fun to drive.and giving up 40 ft. lbs. for 10-15 hp doesnt sound like a good trade off for a street car.im going to have my t-45 rebuilt and prob go with some 4.10 gears.what about a 9-10.5 psr?btw thanks for the replies everyone.

i would really like to peak at about 6800-7000,and shift about 7100-7200 and have the limiter at 7500

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread