Help with "NO TURNS" sign

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
The off ramp from a major Interstate, starts as one exit lane, then widens into two full lanes. There is a traffic light at the end of this offramp, which is ALWAYS red, and only goes green when enough cars are there. There is a large black and white sign on top of the traffic light, that reads, "NO TURNS". The road that this offramp connects to, is a two lane, divided with barriers, one way road, you can only go right.

My question is, can you turn right on red here? I never do because I can just see the cop saying, "Why did you TURN on red, the sign says NO TURNS".

So can you turn on red or not, or is that sign there just to REMIND people you cannot TURN left?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
No where does it say "NO TURN ON RED" either. The sign is not listed in the driver's course book, and the only thing I found is, according to that book, is you can turn right on red, unless a NO TURN ON RED sign is posted.

So I'm guessing in this case you can turn right on red? Will confirm any answers or advice given below with a visit to the State Police Barracks.

Traffic backs up here incredibly. This used to be a stop sign, then they put this light and sign in. People are too confused as to if you can go or not, and the looooooooooooong delay on the light doesn't help either!

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Post up a pick of the actual sign, if you can get one.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
no turns sign.jpg

There are no other signs posted (STOP, YIELD, NO TURN ON RED).

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
The history of this off-ramp is as follows:

1) first was an exit lane off the highway, a single lane all the way, with a YIELD sign.
2) then it was changed to a STOP sign
3) then it became a two lane exit ramp with a STOP sign
4) then the light and the NO TURNS sign

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Looking at the way the roadway is oriented in that picture, it looks as if both the off-ramp lanes merge directly into the the two main lanes of the roadway. IF that is the case, I would say remaining stopped until the green light appears would be the proper thing to do. I believe the "no turns" would be for the driving stupid that would try to make a left turn there.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I agree. It might be too hard to view traffic, if you were in the right lane, to make a turn on red safely. This is one confusing sign, none the less. I think a NO TURN ON RED sign, should be added here. People honk at you thinking you are sitting on a right turn on red light....

But according to the State's handbook, it says, "right turn on red is permitted UNLESS a NO TURN ON RED sign prohibits it"....:??:

Are you a LEO by chance? Thanks.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
No entry to the road is permitted except when you get a green light.

Two reasons. It is difficult or impossible to see the traffic approaching at an angel from behind you. So it is very likely that one car would pull directly out in front of another car causing a crash.

Second reason. There is no unoccupied lane for you to turn into until the traffic coming from behind you is stopped by the signal turning red.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Lol, obviously not from NY pretty common when you have a level crossing of two larger roads, and weird quasi clover leaves.

Want a ****ed up sign here's one. Looks more like my account balance before and after I owned a Mustang.
no-turn-sign-in-new-york-city-b2rn8w.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread