help with starting/clutch problem?

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
my buddy just went out to his 99 cobra and the car wouldnt start. sounds like the started went out but he just got a new one in a couple months ago. we took it to the local shop and they said the starters fine but it might be the clutch sensor. anyone have any info on this or any idea how to know what it is for sure. when he turns the key it clicks like the starter sound.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
bad battery.

and ive never heard of a clutch sensor. just sounds like he was trying to get rid of you guys.
try to jump start it with anouther car.
chances are his battery just doesnt have enough juice any more.

J

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
and oh yeah it may not even go with a jump start.
when some batteries go they wont even take a charge anymore.

but try jumping it first

J

fastsnake99

Established Member
thanks for the info we will give that a try. is it possible to tighten the clutch cable? i actually sold this car to him like 3 years ago and it seemed like now he had to push the clutch down all the way to the floor to get it to start where before it would take higher. it has a fairly new clutch so i know that hasnt gone out.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I highly doubt its the clutch. If it was, when you try and start it it would make the car jump forward alittle then click b/c the starter isn't strong enough to turn it over that way. The clutch cable would cause the same thing. Does it have an adjustable clutch cable? I would say battery. If its not you got two other choices..........starter or the alternator could be draining the battery.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
try to pull strait up on the clutch pedal till it clicks. ( it kinda sounds more like you break something) but that should adjust it some.
other wise he needs a new clutch quadrant.

try to just put your battery in it for now.

J

GrimlokTT

Established Member
I'm not really sure the recommendations you're getting here; however, if you're hearing a clicking noise it means you are getting juice to your starter solenoid but you don't have enough juice to start the car. This could come from 2 reasons: your charging system is going bad or your starter is going bad.

If it had anything to do with your clutch safety switch, you wouldn't get the juice to the proper components to make the clicking noise.

When you go to jump start it, start the jumpers car and attach jumper cables. Allow the cars to set that way for 10 minutes. Then, try starting the car. If it starts, take it to a reputable shop to check the charging system. Autozone does it for free; however, some of their people don't know how to properly operate their machines...

fastsnake99

Established Member
thanks for all the help.. my friend/roomate should be back from work any time now and ill try all the tips and let you know if it works.. much appreciated !

fastsnake99

Established Member
he has it at ford right now. tried jumping the car but it wouldnt work even after letting my tahoe charge it for 10 min before we turned the key. we should find out by 5 tonight

fastsnake99

Established Member
well they couldnt find anything wrong. car just started then yesterday it wouldnt start again for a few tries so we push started it and he took it back to the shop and go figure it started there and no codes came up and cant figure out what it is

Tango7

Established Member
It sounds like the clutch switch. If all lights are bright and when you try and crank the car it does nothing. You can bypass the switch with a paper clip. Make sure the car is in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread