Help with track times....

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
I was going to post this in the Drag Racing forum but figured this is more
GT500 specific. I was wanting to know what I need to do to get my 60's down.

I only was able to go a couple times this year. My best was a 2.16 which was not even my best run ET wise. We only have an 1/8 mile track here. I have tried different burnouts to no avail. I usually always do a 1st gear burnout. I have tried smoking them for 4-5 secs in waterbox, turning them over until start smoking waterbox, both as before without pulling through waterbox, a quick pop of the clutch dry, etc. I've used different RPM ranges from idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, and 3500. I've tried feathering, dropping, and with TC on. I am running 305/35/18 MT ET Streets @ varied 12-18psi. I am on stock suspension.

In my 03 Cobra I was pulling 1.7 60's all day with NT05's. Not so with the Shelby. But my best run in the 03 was a 8.099 @ I'm thinking the same trap speed.

My best run was a 7.998 @ 93.6 mph with a 2.24 60ft. So I know for a fact I can get a much better ET with that 60. Hell that is .5 secs different between this and the Terminator! If I could get the 60 down to the 1.6-1.7 range would be close to a second off the ET?

I was going to install 3.73's, an IW 10% OD, and long tubes this winter, but am wanting to know if some suspension work would serve me better? Cash is a concern. I can't see myself spending $1500-$2000 on a full kit setup. Just some minor tweaks that will help. If I''m gonna spend some cash, I'd rather go with a TVS or Whipple setup.

Also there was an oldhead there that said to use bleach on your tires for better traction?

With the numbers that I am running with the Shelby, what could I expect in the 1/8 and 1/4 once I get my 60 down based on my trap speed? Mods are in siggy. Still need to get it on the dyno for some numbers.

Leonard 95

Established Member
Well if you don't have upper and lower control arms in the rear, get them asap. I also have tokico d-specs which help launch also. I only been down track 3 times in this car, first 60ft 2.2, 2nd 2.0 and 3rd was 1.8. Same tires as you and running 15lbs, think I had it at 3000rpms and rode the clutch out. With stock blower, 2.6, tune, cai, 3.73 and susp mods I went 7.4 at 99.5mph.

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
3.73's are definitely on the top of my list. What kind of price UCAs, LCA's, shocks, springs, and adjustable PB will I be looking at? I would be installing everything myself besides the gears.

Also what burnout methods are more consistant when it comes to traction?

Coonsnake

Established Member
I have all bmr stuff so you can go to bmrfabrication.com and get prices. I do a 2nd gear burnout, it allows you to have more wheel speed and heat the tires up better

Leonard 95

Established Member
Really the arms are pretty cheap, just need adjustable upper and regular lower. I used J&M, also you will need relocation bracket if car is lowered. As for the d-specs, they are in the 530 range. I would say you could get the susp done for under 1100 for parts. Also, learn from my mistakes, by a line lock kit for burnouts, these dual clutches don't like heat. The slp link lock kit is very nice.

GotBoost07

I have the same setup as you do (except I have 3.73s) and traction is really a issue on these tires. It is like a switch, the car is either on or off. The best 60ft I have managed is a 1.80. I have seen people saying they have ran high 1.60s but I dont see how lol. I have tried everything too, and nothing really works consistently for me. My car has run a best of [email protected] with a 1.80 60ft. If I could hit the magical 1.6 60ft I could run 7.20s.

I do zero burnout, just a quick spin to clean the tires off on the way to the line. I run better 60 fts that way rather than doing a huge burnout. As for launch the best I have found is 2500 rpms and slip the clutch quickly to let the car get rolling without overpowering the tires.... really a balancing act. Tires at 16 PSI

While the 305/35/18s work great on the street and are worlds ahead of the stock tires, for track use I am going to buy a set of 15" rims and get a tire with more sidewall. The 305/35s just dont have enough "give" to them making it difficult to launch consistently. I think that, along with some LCAs, will put my 60fts on the mid to low 1.60s, and get my car in the 7.10-7.20 range. Yours should be capable of the same thing, especially if you change to the 3.73 gears. Your trap speed does look a little low to me, BUT that can be due to the slow 60ft. The main thing is getting used to driving the car and the mph will take care of itself. I went from 95 to almost 99mph with no mods other than learning how to drive my car over the course of three weeks at the track. Good Luck man!

force recon

Established Member
I have a 07 with:
JLT
O/R-Xpipe
Eibach drag launch springs
Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks
stock front struts
M/T ET street (bais ply) 26x11.50x17 on 05 gt wheels@13lbs
3.73's
front sway bar delete
SLP line lock-2nd gear burn out
60's in the 1.62-1.64 range
car runs [email protected] all day. If you look on the fordgt500 site i have pictures up and more info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread