Help with tranny

Russyo

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a B&M shifter I believe, bought the car used, cant remember the exact brand. Anyhow, I just drove home and all the sudden I couldnt get the car to go into 1st, 3rd or 5th. It goes like half way in 1st, a little less than half way in 3rd and just barely into 5th. I push it in, its kinda hard and when I try to let the clutch out it grinds and then kicks it completely out of gear. 2nd, 4th and reverse seem to be fine, what the heck could cause that. And how do I fix it. I just re-installed the motor and tranny, and I dont think I changed anything. I know I have enough tranny fluid cause I had it replaced today! Is there some place to adjust it. I need help, its kinda hard to drive a car with not 1st, or 3rd, 5th I could probably do without for a while, but 1st, thats no good. HELP ME PLEASE. Mostengine problems I can handle, but I dont know sqaut about transmissions!! help!
Thanks
Russyo

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Sounds like the syncro's to me. did you change th fluid yourself or have someone do it? i would definitely check the level if someone else did it.

swap that t45 for a tko or t56 and be done with it. t45 is junk.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
check your bump stop screw first to see if it loosened up and is preventing the shifter from getting all the way into gear.

94CobraPace

Established Member
1 BA SVT said:
check your bump stop screw first to see if it loosened up and is preventing the shifter from getting all the way into gear.

Exactly, especially since it is in the push mode in all the gears. Pull the shifter cover off & you will see the stops. If you have had the shifter off, it might be shifted a little causing the problem & the stops need to be readjusted.

Russyo

Established Member
solved the problem, there is a plastics piece on the bottom of my shifter that fits into the shifter spot. It fell off when I took the shifter out, and I forgot about it, and it was in the shifter area causing the shifter to not be able to shift up, which means the bottom of the shifter couldnt travel far enough backwards to get into 1st 3rd and 5th. So everything is fine now, only took like five minutes to figure it out. I always post any problems I have even if I know how to fix them so other people can search and find resolutions to their problems. Thanks for the ideas guys, easy fix, thank goodness. Later
Russyo

Users who are viewing this thread