Help! :(

Sith

Banned
Damnit i was driving home from a friends house and I missed going into third gear (I only miss when it's ****ing cold outside??) and now my car won't go into leave 3rd except to go into neutral, luckily i was able to get it home but wtf happened?! :cryying:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
sounds like you FU**** up those synchros pretty bad. maybe its the linkage, but sounds like it time for a rebuild, or a t56 swap, sorry man. O yeah, check the stops on the shifter, maube they came out of adjustment

Sith

Banned
Red98CobraStang said:
sounds like you FU**** up those synchros pretty bad. maybe its the linkage, but sounds like it time for a rebuild, or a t56 swap, sorry man. O yeah, check the stops on the shifter, maube they came out of adjustment

It has done this once before that I've known of but after a few minutes it went back and was fine. How would I check the stops on the shifter?

Sith

Banned
update : I gave it a little muscle (aka slammed) it into 4th gear and it went in and now it's fine, except it feels a little...loose? when shifting. Time for a new tranny soon?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
thats a good question, i tend to know why things break, but fixing them is different. Ive never done anything with a shifter b4, but ill bet if u do a search on the forum, or post a thread to check em, i guarantee someone more knowledgable can help ya. Im kinda a newb, sry

Sith

Banned
Red98CobraStang said:
thats a good question, i tend to know why things break, but fixing them is different. Ive never done anything with a shifter b4, but ill bet if u do a search on the forum, or post a thread to check em, i guarantee someone more knowledgable can help ya. Im kinda a newb, sry

So why did it get messed up? I'm willing to bet i'm more newb then you, but gotta learn somehow...

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
well on the inside of ours trans there are sets of gears on the mainshaft and countershaft. each gear has it own synchro. ex 1st and 2nd are on the 1-2 synchro. There are dogteeth and blocking rings which make the synchro speed up and slow down do accomidate gear changes. If one of the blocking rings or dog teeth got messed up, it would jam the whole trans. BTW, is there enough fluid in the trans?

Sith

Banned
Red98CobraStang said:
well on the inside of ours trans there are sets of gears on the mainshaft and countershaft. each gear has it own synchro. ex 1st and 2nd are on the 1-2 synchro. There are dogteeth and blocking rings which make the synchro speed up and slow down do accomidate gear changes. If one of the blocking rings or dog teeth got messed up, it would jam the whole trans. BTW, is there enough fluid in the trans?

I was just thinking about the transmission fluid, gonna check that in the morning when I got some light.

Sith

Banned
Red98CobraStang said:
good call,and BTW, if u pull the dipstick and you see metal shavings, your Phucked. Also, the fluid should be red :)

metal shavings = ?

Why do I always have to learn about parts on cars as they break :cuss: damn IRMC's and now the tranny (hope not anyway)

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
shavings = metal to metal contact, which is bad. If your low on fluid it will cause the hard shifts. just say a few prayrers b4 bed tonight, dont worry too much tho. Just look at it this way, the more often things get broken, the more often you can upgrade ;)

Sith

Banned
Red98CobraStang said:
shavings = metal to metal contact, which is bad. If your low on fluid it will cause the hard shifts. just say a few prayrers b4 bed tonight, dont worry too much tho. Just look at it this way, the more often things get broken, the more often you can upgrade ;)

except i'm poor :nonono:

97cobraheaven

Established Member
there is no dipstick to check the tranny fluid, gotta get under the car and take off the filler cap and stick your finger in Da Hole, if you can feel fluid you aight! if not, sheat!

Sith

Banned
97cobraheaven said:
there is no dipstick to check the tranny fluid, gotta get under the car and take off the filler cap and stick your finger in Da Hole, if you can feel fluid you aight! if not, sheat!

Yeah going under their tommorow... :nonono:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Was it stuck in third gear? My t45 used to do this and it's caused by fatigued shift forks. They get misaligned and cause the tranny to hang up while in gear. I swapped to a t56 and haven't looked back. Red98CobraStang is right, broken parts are a good chance to upgrade.

Sith

Banned
Yeah I'm gonna take it in to my mechanic in about 2 weeks and have him check it out, hopefully I don't miss a gear until then :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread