HELP !!!!

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Ok guys I'm going nutso trying to get a handle on all the hype here. It could take me a lifetime figuring out all the mods and what they are. So to make this easy on me here is a list of my questions would one of you dudes that really knows his stuff please help me out.???

1. taking out the silencer. Where is it and what does it do.What are the advantages of removing it.

2. what is the hood blanket deal?? again same question why do it what are the advantages.

3.Chips who makes the best?

4. Who makes the best sounding and performing catbacks. Ive heard some have an unpleasent DRONE at hiway speeds.

5. Best shift kit?

FIPK or cold air kits who is the best. Well thats all for now. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm gonna go out and eat a chevy for dinna...................:gt:

CobraTone

Established Member
The air silencer is at the bottom left under the hood, if you are staring directly at the engine. It is attached to the stock air box, basically it just pulls off allowing more air to be sucked in, supposedly gives you about 4 hp, but its controversial.

Not quite sure what the hood blanked mod is all about, need to research it further.

As for the chips, most people I have seen either have a Diablo or a custom tuned chip.

The most popular aftercats seem to be dynomax, magnaflow, and bassani. I tend to like the sound of the flowmasters, but I am biased because I had them on my GT.

Not quite sure about the shifters either, although Steeda Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 shifters seem to be highly recommended. Hope this helps, there is also a lot more specific information about these if you run a search. Good luck! :burnout:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by jumpincactus

1. taking out the silencer. Where is it and what does it do.What are the advantages of removing it.

2. what is the hood blanket deal?? again same question why do it what are the advantages.

4. Who makes the best sounding and performing catbacks. Ive heard some have an unpleasent DRONE at hiway speeds.

5. Best shift kit?

FIPK or cold air kits who is the best. Well thats all for now. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm gonna go out and eat a chevy for dinna...................:gt: [/B]

1. Silencer removal makes the blower louder, for sure. Any performance gains are questionable, but possible. Silencer removal is only an option with the stock airbox. Oh, and don't cut it, just pull it out. It cost like $180 from Ford.
2. Removal of some or all of the hood liner to allow air to flow through the closed off hood vents. Requires removing the flaps of the hood vents. Do a search for "postban's hood mod" for more info. He has a link in his sig.
3. Lots of opinions on that one, but I think the common consensus is that the tuner is more important than the actual chip mfger. It also is important that you get a shop to dyno tune the chip for AF ratio. There are reports of chip tunes that cause pinging. Also, a chip will more than likely void the warranty.
4. Again, lots of opinions. My suggestion is to listen to different ones and choose from there. Some people have claimed better gains with 3" setups.
5. It's about 50/50 Pro5.0 and Steeda. You can also try the MGW shift handle and the free shift mod (search for them)

Steve B

Established Member
If you plan on getting an X pipe somewhere down the line, do not go with chambered mufflers (like flowmaster). They have an annoying raspy sound with an X.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Please use the search function in the upper right corner. Thanks.

yeah, what he said..... :read:

we're not trying to be jerks, but the bottomline is that redundant questions and endless rehashing of subjects just adds to the problem of sifting through all these posts to find new and valuable information.

many of us feel the same way about this...even though it may be time-consuming to read all the search results, it is in everyone's best interest to do so, so that the group as a whole can enjoy this board to its fullest.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
All right all right already I'll do da foot work and search.

geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz

lol No problem I am new to the group and thought it was a good way to get started but what you all have said about having to sift makes sense. Thats why I asked it seemed easier than sifting... :) At any rate this seems like a right on hang out and glad to be a part of the group. Chow getting hungry for Chevys :lol:

Friendchicken

5. Best shift kit?

1. Snorkle extension of the air box that pulls air from inside the rt fender well. The snorkle has a 3" opening, while the removal will give you 5" of opening to pull air through. Use with drop-in K&N.

2. The heat extracting hood from the factory has vent flaps and is concealed by the hood blanket. Cutting the hood liner around the vents allows you to remove the flaps and keep the engine bay cooler when you are driving.

3. Diablo seems to have some nice features. Get it from a well known tuner (search the site).

4. Bassani Xhaust cat-back system is more $$$, but worth it for the interchangable cat/straight through pipes.

5. Go with Pro 5.0 shifter.

6. If you are going with CAI, ignore #1. I'd go with Pauls High Performance myself, but there is a test coming up in future about which ones are best in the next couple months.

Please break the car in for 5,000 mi before you do anything serious like chip/pulley

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Ok guys I'm going nutso trying to get a handle on all the hype here. It could take me a lifetime figuring out all the mods and what they are. So to make this easy on me here is a list of my questions would one of you dudes that really knows his stuff please help me out.???

5. Best shift kit?

FIPK or cold air kits who is the best. Well thats all for now. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm gonna go out and eat a chevy for dinna...................:gt:

1. It is historically to keep intake noise down and also forces you to draw air from the fender. I would go with a good CAI like UPR which is what I also have on order.
2. Go here http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291686253 . I have had this done for 5-months now with no problems.
3. Diablo and Superchips are both fine just find a good shop that dyno's and builds the chip to your car it is more expensive, but worth it for HP and the longevity of your motor.
4. Check this out. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18545&highlight=rob+exhaust This is what I have on order and believe it is the best exhaust I have seen for our cars specifically because it is 3" and removes the factory 2-piece for a better designed 1-piece set-up .
5. I have Tri-Ax and love it. This has already been battled and was close to a 50/50 draw with Pro 5.0

I agree with 03DOHC do a search because we bet the hell out of these already.

Users who are viewing this thread