Here Come The Modifications!!!

NFS

Established Member
Boy there’s been some interesting posting here lately, I wish I had more time, anyway,
I’ve been doing a lot of R&D and since I’m a performance enthusiast first, and the car driver second, I know there’s room for performance improvement on this car/5.4 modular motor.

Yesterday I removed the stock air cleaners (2 of them) and replaced them with a pair of K&N’s .
The job took maybe 20 minutes. (remove the airbox)
Next, pulley change, reprogram the ECM, full Borla exhaust.
Not necessarily in that order.
I was convinced that the stock exhaust had to go but driving the car these last couple of days I might leave the exhaust alone for now since the car is such a pleasure to drive.
NFS

Last edited:

Silver03

Established Member
Man...how much does a pulley and tune give you on these cars? I wasnt aware that chips were available for the GT yet. I bet it will be truly insane.

venom279

Established Member
NFS said:
Boy there’s been some interesting posting here lately, I wish I had more time, anyway,
I’ve been doing a lot of R&D and since I’m a performance enthusiast first, and the car driver second, I know there’s room for performance improvement on this car/5.4 modular motor.

Yesterday I removed the stock air cleaners (2 of them) and replaced them with a pair of K&N’s .
I was convinced that the stock exhaust had to go but driving the car these last couple of days I might leave the exhaust alone for now since the car is such a pleasure to drive.
NFS

Sounds like you have a really good plan there, you will see some really nice gains...

BTW, can you feel a sotp difference since replacing the factory filters with the K&N's?? Do you personally feel the cars exhaust is too quiet as some other owners have stated??

Keep us updated as you go along!!

:beer:

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Props to you, and best of luck with the mods! I just got off the phone with Don LaSota/SCT (the person who wrote the SCT tuning manual). He says they have all the necessary codes to tune a GT as of right now. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
That would be so gratifying, puttign a couple K&N's on my FORD GT. God, I bet just those made suck a difference..the blower must scream even louder now. :rockon:

satx

Banned
NFS said:

NFS

make sure to tune and dyno after each mod. Have you thought about how much boost you are going to run?

AMB

Established Member
Nfs

Does the GTs supercharger have a press-on or bolt-on pulley?? Have you found a supplier for the pulley ?? I have a METCO "X10" belt system on by 03 Cobra. I had ASP (1-877-928-8678) make some 10 rib (3",3.25",3.5",3.75",& 4") pulleys for my KB supercharger. They should be able to make some for your (Eaton twin screw) supercharger too.

AMB

NFS

Established Member
Silver03 I’m currently working on a pulley and ECM reflash, I have very little time right now to work on the car, the pulley will be my next project right along with the ECM.

venom279 I haven’t had a chance to really drive the car, (a lot of graduations this month) LOL It seems fine, from the seat of the pants feeling, the motor seems a bit more responsive. The exhaust will be my last thought. I just don't want to sacrifice the drivability of the car. (I.E. interior noise)

BemoseleyINC I haven’t noticed any increased blower noise, it could be that the air box does a good job at muffling the airflow or the fact that the air box is behind the motor therefore reducing the chance of hearing any increase of air volume.

satx as we speak I’m stetting up dyno time for my upcoming changes (pulley and ECM reflash).
I just want to put on some miles on the car before I put the car through some "angry time" on the dyno. LOL

AMB I haven’t had a chance to really look at the pulley, it has a plastic plug at the center of the pulley and it's very close to the back window, maybe this weekend ill look at it more in depth.

Take care,
NFS

Florida Chris

Established Member
NFS said:

NFS

Have you got a part number for the K&N filters? Thanks.

NFS

Established Member
Hi Chris, the K&N part # is 33-2140-1
It’s for a 1999 though 2004 ford F150 Lighting/Harley Davidson 5.4L V8 F/I
It is not an official part number that K&N assigned, this filter fits the airbox perfectly. The airbox uses 2 of them. (When they release an official one I’ll switch if there’s a difference)
Installation is easy and takes about 20minutes. You need to remove the airbox, (trust me this is easier) pull up the red lock on the MAF sensor connector on the top of the airbox, remove the connector, then use a 5/16 nutdriver to loosen the clamp that secures the air snorkel to the box .
Remove the 2 bolts securing the airbox to the frame using a 10mm socket ¼” drive. Once you have the box off you can then remove the 16 torx bolts securing the lid (that’s right 16 bolts) using a torx #t25 bit .

Do not use the foam seal that comes with the filters.

Here are the Borla/Ford “OFF ROAD EXHAUST” P/N’S

MUFFLER = M-5230-GT
CAT DELETES (pair) = GTX-5230
HEADERS = M-9430-GT
COMPLETE OFF ROAD EXHAUST (muffler, cat deletes and headers) = M-9430-GTX

Header primary tube size is 2 ½ dia.
The muffler and Cat. Delete pipes are available right now,
The Headers will be available in about 2 weeks.

If you have any questions PM me,
Take care,
NFS

Big 8

Established Member
Hey barondw want's t know if you called ROUSH about this! :pepper: Just being a smart ass! Cant wait to see what power gaines this beast puts out! Keep us informed and provide video and dyno! :beer:

Blades

Established Member
NFS said:

What foam seal are you talking about? How do you remove it? Are they a perfect fit? I'd be worried about the slightest gap between the filters and the throttle body.. Any changes in max boost #s? I'm gonna do this soon depending on what you say.. Its not like K&N is gonna make filters for a limited prod car..

barondw

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Hey barondw want's t know if you called ROUSH about this! :pepper: Just being a smart ass! Cant wait to see what power gaines this beast puts out! Keep us informed and provide video and dyno! :beer:

A wise ass would be a better description or just a jerk

fordification

Established Member
I'm in no way an expert when it comes to performance, but it seems to me that the 2 air intakes on the air box seem a little restrictive. They look like they're roughly 4"x4". Does this allow enough volume to feed the box?

Big 8

Established Member
barondw said:
A wise ass would be a better description or just a jerk

I will take both! ;-)

Hey its just the internet! ;-)

Last edited:

NFS

Established Member
Blades, the new K&N air filters come with a foam seal to adhere to the top perimeter of the stock F150 Lighting airbox. Use the filters discard the foam seal. they fit perfectly in the GT’s airbox, no gaps.

chknhwk

Congrats, NFS!! I want a GT soooo bad... I think I may have to do a GT40 kit some day in the future; it's probably the closest I'll ever get. :lol:

Blades

Established Member
NFS said:
Blades, the new K&N air filters come with a foam seal to adhere to the top perimeter of the stock F150 Lighting airbox. Use the filters discard the foam seal. they fit perfectly in the GT’s airbox, no gaps.

As nervous as I am.. It will be done.. I will probably even post pics of the filters with the cut seal to get your ok.. I wanna make sure I get this perfect. Its hard to mod this car because its like, how are you gonna screw with perfection? You feel like you are getting in the way of God's wrath; his divine intervention with the car world.... :D

Tom B

Established Member
NFS said:
It’s for a 1999 though 2004 ford F150 Lighting/Harley Davidson 5.4L V8 F/I
It is not an official part number that K&N assigned, this filter fits the airbox perfectly. The airbox uses 2 of them. (When they release an official one I’ll switch if there’s a difference)
Installation is easy and takes about 20minutes. You need to remove the airbox, (trust me this is easier) pull up the red lock on the MAF sensor connector on the top of the airbox, remove the connector, then use a 5/16 nutdriver to loosen the clamp that secures the air snorkel to the box .
Remove the 2 bolts securing the airbox to the frame using a 10mm socket ¼” drive. Once you have the box off you can then remove the 16 torx bolts securing the lid (that’s right 16 bolts) using a torx #t25 bit .

Here are the Borla/Ford “OFF ROAD EXHAUST” P/N’S

MUFFLER = M-5230-GT
CAT DELETES (pair) = GTX-5230
HEADERS = M-9430-GT
COMPLETE OFF ROAD EXHAUST (muffler, cat deletes and headers) = M-9430-GTX

Header primary tube size is 2 ½ dia.
The muffler and Cat. Delete pipes are available right now,
The Headers will be available in about 2 weeks.

If you have any questions PM me,
Take care,
NFS

Where are the parts available from? I could find anything on the Borla website.

Thanks,

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread