Here we go with the problems

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
I am going to try to keep it short........ Driving the 'Tour yesterday and after having putting the get down on it, the RPMs rev so high that if I take my foot off the gas the car is in SELF cruise control. I push the clutch in and the RPMs rocket to about 4000 and stay there for about 15 seconds and then fall back down to about 2000 (normally at 1000-1200). For a good while I had no check engine light and then all of a sudden, the damn thing lit up. I am going to get a scan tool today and see if I can figure this out. Would a bad O2 sensor casue the car to rev like this???? On a side note, I get about 5 miles from the house and the damn car stops doing the rev thing, but it is running real jerky. In fact...during the RPM spikeage, (it only did this once) the engine would act like it was stalled and when I added more pedal the thing would jerk back to life. If you can shed some light on this...I would appreciate it. I did a search and seen the stuck throttle cable thing.....Not sure if that would cause THIS MUCH TROUBLE....but I am a newb when it comes to the 'Tour.

Thanks

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
o2s won't cause it.

I'd start with cleaning the IAC...but in my experience an IAC hasn't made the rpms go that high.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
o2s won't cause it.

I'd start with cleaning the IAC...but in my experience an IAC hasn't made the rpms go that high.

I got a brand new IAC on there (2 weeks old)...You think the throttle cable is sticking???? I guess a little contact grease in order.

Thanks Bro

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
Check the throttle cable for any kinks or damage to the sleeve, some times they go bad on the inside and the cable frays under the sleeve causing it to hang up. check the linkage on the tb itself and grease it. You may also have a bad throttle positioning sensor which may cause eratick idle.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Actually, now that you mention it, I believe the throttle cables do have a problem like that...

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
it might also be a loose vaccum hose i had a problem similar to that on my old camaro.

also is that idle (1000 to 1200) normal or is that due to modifications, because once my car has warmed up a bit it sits at about 750 rpm.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
SVTC99 said:
it might also be a loose vaccum hose i had a problem similar to that on my old camaro.

also is that idle (1000 to 1200) normal or is that due to modifications, because once my car has warmed up a bit it sits at about 750 rpm.

Checked hoses and they all appear good.....The idle is normal but I do have a CAI on the thing.

I scanned the cables yesterday and noticed that the cruise cable has a slight bend in it. I wonder why the check engine light came on???? I revved the hell out of it a few times (out of shear anger) and I bet I threw a lean code because of that.

Thanks gents and keep the suggestions coming.

WIll keep you posted.

Later

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
Disconnect the negative on the battery for a couple of minutes and see if it clears the code. cai won't make a difference on the idle. The idle could be high because the throttle cable isn't releasing all the way.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
o2s won't cause it.

UPDATE!!!!

Get home and try to pull code using my Predator for the Lightning. No codes stored :bs: :bs: So I say Fugit and reset the computer, lube the throttle cable and take a ride. SAME SHIOT DIFFERENT DAY!!!!!! Get back and I remember the above post and Black99L's advice......... I keep the car at idle and it was at around 1600 RPM :eek: :eek: I pull the IAC connector and 900 RPM :beer: :beer: I take a test drive and during shifting.....NO RPM REV!!!!! Just a nice decline in RPM like it should. I called my source and it is WARRANTY TIME on the two week old IAC!!!! Are these things a crap shoot out of the box????

Will let you know if this was the problem....Too bad I did not keep my old IAC from two weeks ago......Could have tested it to make sure 100 percent :nonono:

Thanks to all

Users who are viewing this thread