Heres a option for your empty sparetirewell

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Thought this would break the ADM, weight, rod and the other general GT500 bashing monotony.
I put this in last winter. It holds 2 amps, 2 10inch subs and my Ford fix-a-flat nice and neatly and flush. A buddy at local Stereo shop built and designed the set up for me. I didnt order the Shaker1000 cause I knew I would be redoing the whole system.
The weight added is at least in the rear. lol

Dont have a photo of the nice flush (black mesh) cover that goes over the subs and amps. Worked out to be a perfect spot for the subs in fit and sound and I still have my whole trunk. :)

100_2061.jpg

100_2057.jpg

100_2064.jpg

The head unit is the Pioneer AVIC D3
All interior speakers are Focals and I put a Mitto Bumblebee (little bity) camera out back. which is very helpful btw.

Snake40

Established Member
Looks excellent. I wound up with the Shaker 1000 by default, I was looking forward to putting together a system , but , the factory stuff sounds better than any stock system I have ever heard. Mike

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have been looking into a few of the Pioneer Nav systems. So far, do you have any complaints with the AVIC-D3? I have really been looking hard at the AVIC-Z2. But, it is $1,799, and I can get the D3 for $899. How is the picture? The Z2 has a 10gb harddrive. Does the D3 have to have the DVD nav disk in it to work? If so, does it have a slot for CD's? Most are made so that you can't listen to CD's while using navigation, and I was just wondering if this was one of those?

-Jeff

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Jeff
I am extremely happy with my eclipse avn6600. It works as if it were a well thought out OEM unit...which is probably why many OEM companies use the same software interface as Eclipse. The picture is very good, but I never watch DVD's in my car. The back up camera has a very nice picture too (it's in my trunk key hole). Sirius works well, and HD radio is a waste. The IPOD interface rocks...I have full control of my ipod though the touch screen.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I have been looking into a few of the Pioneer Nav systems. So far, do you have any complaints with the AVIC-D3? I have really been looking hard at the AVIC-Z2. But, it is $1,799, and I can get the D3 for $899. How is the picture? The Z2 has a 10gb harddrive. Does the D3 have to have the DVD nav disk in it to work? If so, does it have a slot for CD's? Most are made so that you can't listen to CD's while using navigation, and I was just wondering if this was one of those?

-Jeff

Jeff,

The Z2 is amazing and actually has a 30g hard drive (10 of which I believe is for the Navi). The D3 is definitely a bargain for what you get without a doubt.

You definitely want to see if you need a Navi CD for the D3, b/c I'm not sure and it tends to be a pain when you want to use both the the navi and listen to a cd. My AVIC-N3 in my other Cobra requires that and it's kind of a pain at times which actually can easily be fixed with an ipod adaptor. No complaints on my Z2 though.

Eclipse's interface and internals are top notch, but their picture quality and # of navigational POI are a bit lacking when compared to the Pioneer. However if you care more for sound then Eclipse is the way to go hands down. BMW's actually use brains made by Eclipse, but from my understanding outsource the screens else where. I have owned a few eclipse units and have never had any issues with them and the sound quality is top notch when matched up with a nice system.

:beer:
-David

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Thanks for all of the input. And sorry for the hijack. :)

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Get the Z2. It was not quite out when I installed mine and I didnt want to wait another month. The D3 only stores a 12 square mile area and once out of that area you just get the backed out 300 mile view with NO detail. You can set a route and remove the Nav CD but I never fool with all that or watch DVDs. I really was interested a nice looking monitor for the my rear camera that looked stock.
The highlights of the D3 are the price $900, It has a Knob for the volume, Looks stock and you can my color light it to match the green lighting of the rest of the center console stack and your speedo/tach if set green.
Had to buy a $100 bluetooth external (little) box hidden up in dash behind stereo but no big deal.
The Z2s memory is worth the exra $ especially if you use the Nav alot.

Found some shots of the subs covered.

100_2063.jpg

100_2063.jpg

croppedsubcover.jpg

This is the rear camera which helps with the huge blind spot directly behind and below the rearspoiler.
Perfect for backing into the waterbox btw.:thumbsup:

mitobumblebee.jpg

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I went with the D3. I can just leave the Nav disk in. I will only use the Radio and my Ipod. I haven't used a CD in years, and couldn't probably find where I put them if I wanted to. Thanks again. I am also going to wire-mod it so that you can watch DVDs while driving. Not for me, but for my passengers. The main reason that I want to do it is because you will have more options in the Nav menu once you do this. Such as entering new data while driving and not having to pull over and put the emergency brake on every time. Again, not for me to do while I am driving, but for my passenger to take care of. With the Z2 you can't do this.

-Jeff

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff let me know if/when you get the overide thing hooked up. My guy said this one was a little trickier because it uses the Nav to sense if the car is moving. But he said there would be a fix out soon. I dont have to pull up the P-brake but it wont let me do much while the car is in motion.
I would love to skip the stupid disclaimer (where you have to tap OK on the screen) everytime you start up the car and the unit is in the Nav mode.
Wheres this country going with freakin disclaimers on everything.

Thanks

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff let me know if/when you get the overide thing hooked up. My guy said this one was a little trickier because it uses the Nav to sense if the car is moving. But he said there would be a fix out soon. I dont have to pull up the P-brake but it wont let me do much while the car is in motion.
I would love to skip the stupid disclaimer (where you have to tap OK on the screen) everytime you start up the car and the unit is in the Nav mode.
Wheres this country going with freakin disclaimers on everything.

Thanks

Sweet. Remember to hook me up with any new info that you get on the fix. I am getting this for Christmas, so it will probably be around or just after Christmas before I get it installed. I knew that the Z2/Z1 used Nav to see if you were moving. I didn't know this one was like that.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread