Here's my future project

fordification

Established Member
My plan is to build one of these..
DSCN1823.JPG

..and drop in one of these...
113_0311_gt_01_z.jpg

2 problems I will encounter though.

1)Besides coming up with the $$$ for it, the other is transporting a kit car across the border.

2)Another problem is the fact that Ford probably won't be selling the GT power train to the public. Although I could build the 5.4, it's the gearbox thats hard to find. I'm actually a big FE fan, but it would be nice to modernize it with fuel injection. The original GT-40 gearboxs were the same as the Porsche gearboxs back then. Very rare. But I imagine the GT-40 kit car company can supply the gearbox, but only for smallblock applications.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
The original is also alot smaller so I can see the 5.4 being a really tight fit. I'm sure it's impossible to do in such as small engine compartment.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
how much does a kit car, from the first one, cost? i would love to do a kit like that too...and a 67 Shelby Cobra 427 kit car as well.....

-marek

faet

Established Member
something ive been working on w/ my dad for a while :]
the engine and tranny came recently, its a Ford 302 engine (bored to a 306) and an old audi tranny. its fits on pretty well.
ill get some pictures of the tranny/engine up soon.

Picture4%20025.jpg

faet

Established Member
pssh ive been here (see 2nd post, 3rd now =p) uve just not noticed. almost done uploading :D

fordification

Established Member

Wow, I didn't even know anyone had replied! Wicked project. Yep, thats what I'm going to build.

faet, so where did you guys get your kit from. The GT40nz's look like good kits. Guess there sites down now. $80g's turn key.

faet

Established Member
http://www.roaringforties.com.au
ours was like 45-50k, turn key w/out engine/tranny
we got the engine from Factory Five Racing
and the tranny from somewhere in the local area (New Old Stock)
and it'll be registered as a 1967 GT40, so no emisions(good thing b/c their is no Cat), historic plates (lower insurance) and all the other fun stuff that comes w/ owning an old car w/ 0 original miles on it ;)

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by faet
http://www.roaringforties.com.au
ours was like 45-50k, turn key w/out engine/tranny
we got the engine from Factory Five Racing
and the tranny from somewhere in the local area (New Old Stock)
and it'll be registered as a 1967 GT40, so no emisions(good thing b/c their is no Cat), historic plates (lower insurance) and all the other fun stuff that comes w/ owning an old car w/ 0 original miles on it ;)

Looks like a great project! This'll sound a little unrealistic but I wonder what the chances of fitting an actual 427 or BB FE engine into it. The biggest concern is the gearbox. I can see the porsche/audi box handling the 302 but not sure about a ~500hp BB. Plus, trying to find a bellhousing for it is another matter. A 500hp 302 is alittle more realistic I think, and the weight advantage would be a consideration.

faet

Established Member
we are using a 302, w/ audi tranny (comes w/ a converter so the tranny fits) ours is about 400-450hp at the flywheel, so lil less at wheels. u can get a SC or Turbo for it but we decided we didnt need all that power. :]
ahh safety regs... well its pretty safe. 5points seatbelts + doors have bars in it for saftey. and since the National Highway Saftey regulations rates stuff based on saftey/weight it'll rank high since its only ~1800lbs. i mean, its got more metal than ur basic japanese car... and the 5 poitns seat belts will keep you from moving. and i mean, its a 1967car... so how safe are those anyway?

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by faet
we are using a 302, w/ audi tranny (comes w/ a converter so the tranny fits) ours is about 400-450hp at the flywheel, so lil less at wheels. u can get a SC or Turbo for it but we decided we didnt need all that power. :]
ahh safety regs... well its pretty safe. 5points seatbelts + doors have bars in it for saftey. and since the National Highway Saftey regulations rates stuff based on saftey/weight it'll rank high since its only ~1800lbs. i mean, its got more metal than ur basic japanese car... and the 5 poitns seat belts will keep you from moving. and i mean, its a 1967car... so how safe are those anyway?

Up here, they have to be registered as kit car, so the year is the date constructed. Under the 'Transport Canada' website, it says any kit car newer the 15 years is non-admissable. I have heard that you can registered it in some cases through the RCMP, but getting it passed customs could be another matter.

Users who are viewing this thread