Herniated Disc….

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Thank goodness for science!

Heal well and listen to the docs. My biggest mistake was trying to get back into the game when I felt ready.
Just wanted to give you guys an update today is 3 weeks post OP. Back feels ****ing great. Zero pain. Incision is all healed up and just slightly tender to the touch. Left leg numbness is gone. Left foot was numb still, last week it felt like it was literally on fire burning like standing barefoot on a black top road in July. That pain has subsided and the foot is back to being 100% numb.

I have been walking on the treadmill for 1 hour a day and I’m on a strict diet to stay Lean. I have lost 27lbs in 4 weeks from not being able to lift weights. I have been body building for 13 years so not lifting has been the hardest part.

I go Monday for my follow up with the doctor. I’m hoping to be back to work light duty for 5 weeks and I’ll do physical therapy during that time.

Hoping to be back on full duty and weight lifting the first or second week of September.

As far as the surgeon I’m glad I went with him I have no regrets. USF/TGH is a fantastic hospital. If no one will use the new guys for surgery how do they ever get experience? The guy just completed a 7 year residency I’m willing to say he’s far sharper than many seasoned doctors. Fresh out of school and hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the surgery back in 2015, do yourself a favor and grab a ColPack from Amazon, its a "clay" ice pack.

If you feel your hip or back getting sore, sit on it for a bit if you can. Definately sleep on it every night. Makes a HUGE difference....good maintenance program.

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
Unfortunately I’ve been there… I hate to say it but it’ll never be 100% again and with that line of work another “trip to hell” is nearly inevitable.

I’m 38 and move around like and old man just to avoid that bullshit happening to me ever again.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
As far as the surgeon I’m glad I went with him I have no regrets. USF/TGH is a fantastic hospital. If no one will use the new guys for surgery how do they ever get experience? The guy just completed a 7 year residency I’m willing to say he’s far sharper than many seasoned doctors. Fresh out of school and hungry.

Glad you’re healing up appropriately. Ironically, I trained at Tampa general. A new guy out of residency might be book smart, but by no means are they anywhere near as skilled, from a technical standpoint as a seasoned surgeon 10 years in. Trust me on this. And that’s what counts in terms of having a good outcome. And all spine surgeons do a 6-7 year residency. I agree, though, you have to learn to do the surgery at some point. Cheers

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Tomorrow is 3 months post op. Feeling pretty good. Being back to full duty at the fire department has been fine, no issues. I’m also back to doing home inspections. In the gym 6 days a week and finally starting to gain some mass back while staying lean. So far I have been back pain free, however my left foot numbness has gotten worse, about 3/4 of my foot is completely numb with an occasional burning sensation. I’m starting to notice some atrophy in my left calf muscle. I have been doing some exercises to try and combat that and get some strength back. It’s a damn shame I had massive legs before this injury and I’m not longer able to do squats deadlifts or leg press. Gonna have to build them back with body squats and leg extensions.

Maintaining 158lbs. I feel much better at 158 then I did at 188.

Anyways. Just wanted to update you guys. Hope you all are doing well.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You have a discectomy coming your way. That atrophy and numbness is a bit serious matter, do not ignore and let you docs know asap.

I had two done at the cspine level and it was my left side that went atrophic and weak.
Tomorrow is 3 months post op. Feeling pretty good. Being back to full duty at the fire department has been fine, no issues. I’m also back to doing home inspections. In the gym 6 days a week and finally starting to gain some mass back while staying lean. So far I have been back pain free, however my left foot numbness has gotten worse, about 3/4 of my foot is completely numb with an occasional burning sensation. I’m starting to notice some atrophy in my left calf muscle. I have been doing some exercises to try and combat that and get some strength back. It’s a damn shame I had massive legs before this injury and I’m not longer able to do squats deadlifts or leg press. Gonna have to build them back with body squats and leg extensions.

Maintaining 158lbs. I feel much better at 158 then I did at 188.

Anyways. Just wanted to update you guys. Hope you all are doing well.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
You have a discectomy coming your way. That atrophy and numbness is a bit serious matter, do not ignore and let you docs know asap.

I had two done at the cspine level and it was my left side that went atrophic and weak.

They are aware. They said it’s just residual nerve damage from the herniated portion they removed during the microdiscetomy. An X-ray / MRI was done to confirm there was no new herniation or issues. I’m hoping I get the feeling back in my foot. Guess only time will tell.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
They are aware. They said it’s just residual nerve damage from the herniated portion they removed during the microdiscetomy. An X-ray / MRI was done to confirm there was no new herniation or issues. I’m hoping I get the feeling back in my foot. Guess only time will tell.

They made me wait a year after surgery before saying that my nerve damage was permanent in my back. So, it could still get better for you. Glad the rest feels good for you though. Some of us haven't been as lucky.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Has anyone tried what worked for me? At least for those able to still.

Either use an inversion table or if you have a pull up bar (I installed one in the backyard with some help from a coworker), use gravity boots.

No longer have sciatica or a herniated disc. The pain I use to have was like a 9/10, it would freeze me up back in 2015 even while driving. It would wake me up in pain and couldnt take medicine because the pain would go away in 5-10 mins.

But yea, the stuff that stretches your spine does wonders. It may not be for everyone tho...

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Has anyone tried what worked for me? At least for those able to still.

Either use an inversion table or if you have a pull up bar (I installed one in the backyard with some help from a coworker), use gravity boots.

No longer have sciatica or a herniated disc. The pain I use to have was like a 9/10, it would freeze me up back in 2015 even while driving. It would wake me up in pain and couldnt take medicine because the pain would go away in 5-10 mins.

But yea, the stuff that stretches your spine does wonders. It may not be for everyone tho...
Unfortunately it doesnt/didn't work for all of us. Never lead to relief for me. Wish it had, but it just didn't do it for me. Always best to try non-surgical options initially. That rabbit hole goes deep.

Users who are viewing this thread