Hesitation...even while power shifting???

jlbush

Established Member
Okay so I know about the hesitation if you don't shift fast enough and that you can avoid it by either shifting slower, speed shift very fast, or power shift. Now when I speed shift it doesn't have that hesitation. If I go a little slower than my normal speed shift I get the hesitation. However, I've powershifted my car (2nd to 3rd) 4 times and without a doubt have had the hesitation at least the last 2 times. I searched the forums and found obviously a ton of stuff on the "hesitation", but most say if you shift fast enough it won't happen. :shrug: I have a stock fuel system and still have the PPRV. Has anybody STILL had the hesitation while power shifting?

Hope this is in the right section and hope I did a big enough search to avoid :burn:

Thanks,
Jason

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Okay so I know about the hesitation if you don't shift fast enough and that you can avoid it by either shifting slower, speed shift very fast, or power shift. Now when I speed shift it doesn't have that hesitation. If I go a little slower than my normal speed shift I get the hesitation. However, I've powershifted my car (2nd to 3rd) 4 times and without a doubt have had the hesitation at least the last 2 times. I searched the forums and found obviously a ton of stuff on the "hesitation", but most say if you shift fast enough it won't happen. :shrug: I have a stock fuel system and still have the PPRV. Has anybody STILL had the hesitation while power shifting?

Hope this is in the right section and hope I did a big enough search to avoid :burn:

Thanks,
Jason

You are OK for here now, but I will tell you that since this is a tuning/fuel delivery issue, that can in fact be tuned out without doing the PPRV delete, this thread will eventually end up getting moved to engine/tuning.

But let's see how many guys are having this issue first.:beer:

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
I had something similar to your prob. My car would sputter between 1500 to 2200 on low throttle. plus it would pop on idle. I cleaned the maf took care of the idle now if i could get this frickin car not to sputter threw the lower rpms THINGS WOULD BE GREAT. lol Looking for advise myself..Hey jimmy remember when i told you about my low compression. Well i had my mechanic do the test everything came out just fine. Funny how two people can do the same test and come out with different numbers.:shrug:

Last edited:

jlbush

Established Member
You are OK for here now, but I will tell you that since this is a tuning/fuel delivery issue, that can in fact be tuned out without doing the PPRV delete, this thread will eventually end up getting moved to engine/tuning.

But let's see how many guys are having this issue first.:beer:

I thought a tune could help, but not solve the problem. Oh and I'm glad I'm "OK"....for now :D

Might sound stupid....but is your TC off? .........hey, ya never know. :shrug:

:D Yes it is! I wouldn't have described it as a "hesitation" if TC was on...More like convulsions :lol:

I had something similar to your prob. My car would sputter between 1500 to 2200 on low throttle. plus it would pop on idle. I cleaned the maf took care of the idle now if i could get this frickin car not to sputter threw the lower rpms THINGS WOULD BE GREAT. lol Looking for advise myself..Hey jimmy remember when i told you about my low compression. Well i had my mechanic do the test everything came out just fine. Funny how two people can do the same test and come out with different numbers.:shrug:

Mine will occasionally do that sputter thing when I'm cruising at lower RPMs, but it's never been a big concern for me and I'm not sure if the two things are related or not. I would assume they're related :shrug:

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
Ya who knows man, when i cleaned the maf she purrrrrs real good at idle . But that dam sputter makes me nuts , lol

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have had something like this occur twice last summer. Buddy and I got on it. I launched from first. Hit second and the car completely bogs down. Actually falls on its face. Then the second time I pull on and empty interstate and nail it and when I went to second. Fell on its face again. Rest of the time I drove it I got on it but not this way. It has not had it happen again.

greengt88

Established Member
this is happening to mine on 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, pulls fine just cuts out when i shift between 55-6500rpm. pretty sick of it. i know i have enough fuel, good tune etc. so pprv has to be the culprit. what is involved in re-tuning when pprv is deleted? doing full tilt irs bushings soon, so tank has to come down anyway. perfect time to do it. i'm also doing a blower port at same time so will need re-tune anyhow....advice??

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
this is happening to mine on 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, pulls fine just cuts out when i shift between 55-6500rpm. pretty sick of it. i know i have enough fuel, good tune etc. so pprv has to be the culprit. what is involved in re-tuning when pprv is deleted? doing full tilt irs bushings soon, so tank has to come down anyway. perfect time to do it. i'm also doing a blower port at same time so will need re-tune anyhow....advice??

Don't need a re-tune with the PPRV delete.

However a good tune with datalogs should be able to eliminate "the hez" instead of you having to eliminate the PPRV................ which was a PITA to do!

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I'm having the hesitation too, I'm starting to think it's because I suck at driving lol. The previous owner is a buddy of mine and says he NEVER had this problem. I think the only fix will probably be a pprv delete or a driver mod, both can be difficult to accomplish I guess:lol1:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Yep, had it in all stages of my modding...to some degree. For me it happends one of 2 ways:
1. Heavy accel into moderate rpms and a quick shift.
2. Full throttle with a shift at redline. It doesn't ahppen all the time and when I logged the car I believe it has some relation to fuel pressure.

Hate it and none of the 3 seperate tuners I had could do anything aout it. It makes me want to go to a return system.

wilderyzed

Established Member
I always had this problem it mostly has to do with the slow reacting returnless system return style systems eliminate all these issues we have completely and they are getting more affordable. You can tune around this hesitation by adding fuel pressure or things of that nature in the tune but the WOT cut out never seems to go away especially with higher modified cars. It has to do with an overload of the FRPS and the FPDM. I'd say tune and you'd prob clear it up enough to be happy for now.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i dont get why some cars (some barely modded) have this problem, and some dont.

i have NEVER experienced anything like this in my car (thank god). i figured my minimum mods, and stock fuel system might have something to do with it? 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, Steeda cat-back, and canned diablo tune.

eh well...im just glad i dont have (and have never had) any "hez" problems.

Ironhand

Banned
I had this happen in my old 10th once extremely bad. I was in first gear and nailed it instantly to the floor. Stummbled, fell on its face, then picked up and went.

My suggestions are:

1) Eliminate PPRV(Can be tuned to help with the Hesitation problems, but it has an up side of lowering FPDC.
2) Watch you gas gauge. It could be fuel pushed to the rear of the tank under lower fuel conditions.(My bad ''hes'' problem was with the tank under 1/4 full) Might not be an issuse but could be.

03cobra5485

Established Member
i have the "hesitation" problem too, it happens every now and then when i don't shift fast enough like others said, i never really got around to asking about it..Is it just another one of those "factory" problems like the clunk and various other problems that these cars have? This is my first high performance car that bought, but do other cars have these odd little problems, ie corvettes, camaroes, ect??

jlbush

Established Member
The car has a good tune on it from Hermann. I think this problem is very common with these tunes and no one will really argue that fact. The point of my post and why I thought it wasn't just another "hesitation thread" is that I have always read on ways to "solve" it being the PPRV delete, maybe a better tune, OR JUST SHIFT FASTER. Well I don't know how much faster I can shift since I'm already power shifting it :dw:

Ok, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark on this, but could it be that when I'm power shifting that quick blip of the RPMs (while you're still on the gas and the clutch is in) could possibly taking it into the redline momentarily where I assume fuel shut off occurs as well? Therefore causing it to hesitate because like I said earlier I can speed shift and I guess it's "fast enough" that I don't get any hesitation. I hope this ^^ didn't show my vast ignorance on cars :lol:

The other thing is I can make the hesitation occur if I'm at like 45-50mph and downshift into 2nd getting ready for a roll race (only when I'm in Mexico though ;-) ) and if it stays there for longer than 2/3 seconds and I smack down on it I'll have the same type of hesitation. However, I can be cruising at 45-50 and downshift into 2nd, smack it and it doesn't have any hesitation. So, I don't know if this is all related to the the hesitation or sputtering complaints or not (cruising at low RPMs and just barely any throttle)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I had this happen in my old 10th once extremely bad. I was in first gear and nailed it instantly to the floor. Stummbled, fell on its face, then picked up and went.

My suggestions are:

1) Eliminate PPRV(Can be tuned to help with the Hesitation problems, but it has an up side of lowering FPDC.
2) Watch you gas gauge. It could be fuel pushed to the rear of the tank under lower fuel conditions.(My bad ''hes'' problem was with the tank under 1/4 full) Might not be an issuse but could be.

Two good suggestions right there.
1. PPRV delete also lowers FPDC while eliminating the HEZ, but additionally it also makes it easier to blow FRPS.
2. Never use WOT at the 1/4 tank or lower point, I use the 1/2 way point because I am cornering and I'm on slicks, so mine fuel starves even easier.

The car has a good tune on it from Hermann. I think this problem is very common with these tunes and no one will really argue that fact. The point of my post and why I thought it wasn't just another "hesitation thread" is that I have always read on ways to "solve" it being the PPRV delete, maybe a better tune, OR JUST SHIFT FASTER. Well I don't know how much faster I can shift since I'm already power shifting it :dw:

Ok, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark on this, but could it be that when I'm power shifting that quick blip of the RPMs (while you're still on the gas and the clutch is in) could possibly taking it into the redline momentarily where I assume fuel shut off occurs as well? Therefore causing it to hesitate because like I said earlier I can speed shift and I guess it's "fast enough" that I don't get any hesitation. I hope this ^^ didn't show my vast ignorance on cars :lol:

This is entirely possible.
I would raise your rev limiter a tad so you can't hit it while shifting and try it and see if it helped, or shift 100 or 200 rpm sooner and see if it goes away.:beer:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I have Rick from Amazon Tuning doing mail order tunes for my upper pulley cobra, right after the pulley swap and first tune the hez was aweful.

We still have a good amount of tuning to get the car right but Rick was able to tune out the hez all together from what I can tell so far and I still have my pprv.

Datalogging was showing extreme fuel rail pressure drop everytime I shifted causing the issue.

I speed shift not powershift for the record.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I bet if you were getting 620 to the wheels out of that eaton you wouldn't have this problem:bash::lol:

jlbush

Established Member
This is entirely possible.
I would raise your rev limiter a tad so you can't hit it while shifting and try it and see if it helped, or shift 100 or 200 rpm sooner and see if it goes away.:beer:
Thanks for the advice I'll try that...or just work on my speed :banana:

I bet if you were getting 620 to the wheels out of that eaton you wouldn't have this problem:bash::lol:

I knew this was gonna come out on the boards sooner or later!! :lol: I guess we just don't have quality tuners here in the mid-atlantic region :shrug:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread