Hey Entrepreneurs.. How did you get started?

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
So, I got out of school back in May, and yes, got a full time job.

I absolutely hate everything about it. (being inside for 9 hrs a day, my dense ass co-workers, the shitty customers, etc.) For those of you that know about me, I love the outdoors and horses are my passion. So, I have been doing tons of research and meeting people at the Chamber of Commerce, trying to get my ideas for my business and getting my business plan put together. I am willing to work my ass off for what I want and I know its going to be hard work, but I am looking forward to my journey into being my own employer :thumbsup:

I was just curious, how did all you business owners get started and are you happy with the decisions you've made?

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Find out what you want to do, then see about getting a business license.

Working for an insurance company myself, you'll have to look at some hidden costs. If you're going to have employees, you'll need workers compensation insurance, amongst other things.

This is going to be a lot of work, Are you ready for it? Not trying to sound like an ass, but business owners seem to work double sometimes what a normal 40hr/week is.

Last edited:

fststhou realtr

Established Member
I changed what I would accept in life. If it isn't good enough, you will find the motivation/drive to change it. If it is "ok", you will never get past wanting to change it.

Mach170

evangelist
Established Member
I have noticed that working your best at what ever you do really shows. just because you don't like a job doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best. In Colossians 3 it says to do everything we do heartily as unto the Lord and not unto man. I do my best for the Lord and I have been blessed. If you are working your hardest for him you wouldn't want to take any shortcuts, he is always there watching and you realize that. :) One thing about that is that if you do your best, others notice and maybe they will even help you in your goals or hey maybe you could move to the top :). My mom has a couple businesses that she owns and she is her own employer. I'll ask her how she got started and get back with ya. :)

bchisom99

Established Member
sorry, but I stopped reading the thread after THIS GUY ^^^^ posted.....this is about being an entreprenuer and starting a business.....not the bible,

a few tips....get ready to be a prick, b/c people will be after you 24/7/365

know your business INSIDE AND OUT...even if your not showing it to your employees or other people, you need to know it.

and what fststhou realtr said...I've watched to many businesses fail b/c the owner IMMEDIATLY took the stance of, "I'm the owner and thats your job to do", always keep in mind that your employees and vendors are IDIOTS at first, make them earn trust, if not, you will get screwed....

theres lots of guys on here that are self employed, its the best of both worlds and not at the same time, hopefully they chime in....

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
I own a lawn business. I have one employee...myself. The best advice i could give you is after you decide what you want to do, find someone who already has that type of business and work for them a while. Then you will learn the in's and out's of how you should run your business. It worked perfect for me and i love everyday that i'm working. If i oversleep a little bit, it really doesn't matter!!! AND....i only work about 30 hrs. a week and make more than most full-timers do. But i have to pay for my own health insurance. Hope i was able to help out man. Good luck in whatever you choose.

tvguy

FliteQH said:
So, I got out of school back in May, and yes, got a full time job.

I absolutely hate everything about it. (being inside for 9 hrs a day, my dense ass co-workers, the shitty customers, etc.) For those of you that know about me, I love the outdoors and horses are my passion. So, I have been doing tons of research and meeting people at the Chamber of Commerce, trying to get my ideas for my business and getting my business plan put together. I am willing to work my ass off for what I want and I know its going to be hard work, but I am looking forward to my journey into being my own employer :thumbsup:

I was just curious, how did all you business owners get started and are you happy with the decisions you've made?

You are not specific with the type of business you want to start. I TOTALLY understand that. IF indeed it does deal with "horses" or "cattle", I HIGHLY suggest you look into a state grant for starting your business. The info is out there. Just dig. Absolutely NO better way to finance than a grant, and believe me, the money is out there.
pacotaco

BK24

Copter Doctor
Established Member
My wife owns a daycare. As was said, hidden insurance cost, as well as taxes you have to pay out on employees. Quarterly federal, monthly state, federal and state unemployment, and you have to match there social security. With 5 full time employees she pays out close to 20k a year in just taxes. I would find someone who has a business like you want to start and find out what cost are involved.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I agree with some of what was said above. Once you identify what type of business you want to enter, your best bet is to try and get a job or apprentice at that type of business for a while. I have seen quite often where a business owner will let a person apprentice for free and learn the business so they can be prepared to open their own one day. But be prepared to sign a non compete clause/agreement.

I can tell you from the V.C. side of things you will need a detailed B-Plan. It should be well written and researched and have good comparisons to actual businesses as well as long term and short term goals and required capitalization. R.O.I. should be indicated. Break even point should be defined as well as profitability. A good/effective B-Plan will take a while to write and refine.

Good Luck.

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
pacotaco said:
You are not specific with the type of business you want to start. I TOTALLY understand that. IF indeed it does deal with "horses" or "cattle", I HIGHLY suggest you look into a state grant for starting your business. The info is out there. Just dig. Absolutely NO better way to finance than a grant, and believe me, the money is out there.
pacotaco

Sorry, I did forget to be specific. My business is going to be breaking and training performance (show) horses. I'm starting on my parents property b/c it is paid for and I will need little funding to begin. Once my # of clients is beyond that properties maximum capacity, I'll move on to a better facility. I did go to the state on Thurs. and got a consultant to help me begin. I very much intend on doing lots of research to get what I need paid for by state grants.

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
GA600RR said:
This is going to be a lot of work, Are you ready for it? Not trying to sound like an ass, but business owners seem to work double sometimes what a normal 40hr/week is.

I do understand that is it going to be alot of work and YES i am definitely ready for it. I know that I will be working 45++ hours a week. But it is so different when you are doing what you love and are good at. I want to make this happen while I am young and very much able to. I don't have any priorities or anything holding me back.... you only live once.

Five4Rider said:
I own a lawn business. I have one employee...myself. The best advice i could give you is after you decide what you want to do, find someone who already has that type of business and work for them a while. Then you will learn the in's and out's of how you should run your business. It worked perfect for me and i love everyday that i'm working.

The good part is is that i've been around this business all my life. I have worked very closely with another trainer. The bad part about this business...is when you ride for/with someone else, you are not getting the credit and building the reputation you need. In this business it's all about reputation and let the horses speak for themselves on the way my horses are turned out at shows and their performances. It can be a little tricky when you work under someone else in this business.

BK24 said:
My wife owns a daycare. As was said, hidden insurance cost, as well as taxes you have to pay out on employees. Quarterly federal, monthly state, federal and state unemployment, and you have to match there social security. With 5 full time employees she pays out close to 20k a year in just taxes. I would find someone who has a business like you want to start and find out what cost are involved.

The good part is, I can manage this myself. I don't forsee having employees until I have a larger facility and can't handle everything alone (which will be a while.)

Thanks for all the help everyone!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread